Hull City 2 Bristol City 3: Agony piles on for Tigers

Hull City
Hull City
Have your say

LEONID Slutsky's Hull City reign is increasingly looking in peril after a disastrous final quarter saw the Tigers somehow pluck defeat from the jaws of victory as Bristol City came from 2-0 down to triumph.

The hosts led thanks to goals from Fraizer Campbell and top-scorer Jarrod Bowen, but an awful defensive performance saw City's capacity for implosions resurface at the worst possible time for beleaguered Slutsky.

Scruffy goals from set-pieces, scored by Aden Flint and Bobby Reid made it 2-2 before an even more horrific moment arrived when ex-Barnsley midfielder Josh Brownhill fired home from distance as Slutsky looked to the skies in front of Hull's lowest crowd of the season.

It extended Hull's winless streak to six matches as their worrying descent towards the relegation positions continued, with it remaining to be seen if the last rites have been delivered in terms of Slutsky's tenure.

A raw East Yorkshire afternoon brought little goalmouth incident to warm up the sparse crowd in the first period, but thankfully the one moment of animation saw those wrapped up in amber and black rise to their feet in salvation.

It came 33 minutes in, courtesy of a fortuitous opener with Campbell, but the hosts - and certainly Slutsky, given his current predicament, were in no mood to pass up gifts.

The all-important strike arrived following a dangerous cross from Bowen with Campbell challenging Frank Fielding, with the ball rebounding off the Robins keeper straight into the Hull man and into the net from a few yards out.

It was a slice of luck which the hosts will have been grateful for, with the sight of a home clean sheet at the interval, their first since September 30, also being welcome.

More especially given the absence of Michael Dawson, who was not involved due to illness, with Ondrej Mazuch coming in for his first appearance since August 25.

In truth, it was a poor spectacle, with precious little quality on show, but the scoreline was pleasant enough at the break for Hull.

Resident in the play-offs they may have been, but the visitors looked far from a top-six side on the first-half evidence and offered next to nothing in an attacking sense.

Hull, in truth, did not offer an abundance going forward either, but had the better of it, with other chances seeing Kevin Stewart hook a volley over while the hard-running Jackson Irvine headed wide from close in following an inviting cross from Fikayo Tomori.

Robins chief Lee Johnson made two changes at the break, bringing on Niclas Eliasson and Jamie Paterson, clearly in a bid to pep up his side after a lifeless first period.

But it was Hull who fired the first second-half salvo, with Irvine, enjoying a decent game, spurning an excellent chance on the day when he was left unmarked following Seb Larsson's excellent free-kick from the right, but his header sailed agonisingly wide of the far post, with Fielding beaten.

Hull continued to look the most likely with Fielding gathering Larsson's goalbound free-kick, but he was beaten soon after, having been left exposed by some fitful Robins defending.

The hosts pressed and after a poor clearing header from substitute Eliasson, Bowen nipped in to fire the loose ball past Fielding just after the hour mark.

After an atrocious performance, Bristol finally offered something and it almost saw them make inroads with Korey Smith supplying top-scorer Reid, with Allan McGregor making a key contribution and coming out to block his effort.

But the Scot will not have been happy with a concession to let the visitors back into the game on 68 minutes with a free-kick not cleared, with big defender Flint bundling home.

Suddenly, the Robins started to fancy it and claimed the ascendancy in the final quarter as Hull afforded themselves what seems to be their customary late wobble.

With the Tigers dropping dangerous deep and suddenly looking brittle at the back and in midfield, the Robins scented blood and another lamentable concession saw parity restored on 79 minutes.

The hosts criminally switched off from Jamie Paterson's free-kick and Reid netted his 11th goal of the season from close in.

At the other end, Stewart fired over before the Robins plunged in the knife by going ahead to seal their remarkable rally.

Brownhill was left unchecked and he unleashed a low 25-yarder which beat McGregor in a horrific development for the hosts and Slutsky.

Hull City: McGregor; Aina, Hector, Mazuch, Tomori; Stewart, Larsson (Meyler 73); Bowen (Grosicki 87), Henriksen, Irvine; Campbell (Dicko 74). Substitutes unused: Marshall, Clark, Hamilton, Meyler, Evandro.

Bristol City: Fielding; Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnusson; O'Dowda (Djuric 55), Brownhill, Smith, Pack (Paterson 45); Woodrow (Eliasson 45), Reid. Substitutes unused: Steele, Kelly, Leko, Taylor.

Referee: R Jones (Merseyside).

Attendance: 14,742 (720 Bristol City fans).