Hull City 2 Swansea City 1: Tigers clinch valuable win at KCOM Stadium

Swansea City's Fernando Llorente (left) and Hull City's Tom Huddlestone (right) battle for the ball.
Swansea City's Fernando Llorente (left) and Hull City's Tom Huddlestone (right) battle for the ball.
Have your say

OUMAR NIASSE came off the bench to breathe fresh life into Hull City’s survival fight with a late double.

The Senegal international, on loan from Everton, took his tally of goals for the Tigers to four since moving to the KCOM Stadium in January as Swansea City were dragged back into trouble.

Niasse’s double meant a third win of the season for the Tigers against Swansea and left Silva’s men just a point from safety, albeit with fourth bottom Crystal Palace having a game in hand.

Two points above Palace sit both Swansea and Leicester City, underlining just how vital victory was today for the Tigers.

It perhaps should not have been a surprise that all the goals should come late on, as both clubs have conceded more times in the final quarter of games than any others in the Premier League.

Hull’s four previous goals against Swansea this season had also come in the closing stages.

Mind, it could have been so different had Paul Clement’s men taken a couple of gilt-edged opportunities when the score remained goalless.

Wayne Routledge was behind both misses, meaning his journey home is likely to have felt a long one.

The first came after just nine minutes, Gylfi Sigurdsson collecting the ball 35 yards from goal and threading a delightful pass inside Andrew Robertson.

After getting the better of the napping City full-back, the Routledge shot goalwards only for Eldin Jakupovic to divert the ball behind with his leg.

His other big moment came nine minutes into the second half, courtesy of a lovely back-heel from Sigurdsson that released Tom Carroll down the left.

Jakupovic got a hand to the cross but could only divert the ball to Routledge eight yards out but the sideman somehow blazed over.

It was a major let-off for the Tigers and one they ruthlessly exposed in the final quarter. The introduction of Oumar Niasse from the bench did the trick, as Marco Silva switched from 4-1-4-1 to a two man attack.

Within minutes, Niasse had exchanged passes with Abel Hernandez to open up the visitors defence before coolly rolling a shot past Lukasz Fabianski.

Up to that point, the Welsh club’s gameplan had been for Leroy Fer to stick very close to Tom Huddlestone as Sigurdsson looked to pick a hole in the Hull defence.

Falling behind brought about a change but it did not good as City added a second 12 minutes from time. Niasse was again the man to find the net, latching on to a cross from Ahmed Elmohamady before firing beyond Fabianski.

Alfie Mawson pulled a goal back for Swansea in the first minute of stoppage time but Hull held on to claim a precious victory.