Newcastle United 2 Hull City 2: Tigers denied by Cisse double

PAPA CISSE netted twice in a late rally that rescued a point for Newcastle United and ended Hull City’s winning run on Tyneside.

Newcastle v Hull.

The Tigers looked to be on course for a fourth straight victory at St James’ Park when goals from Nikica Jelavic and Mohamed Diame put Steve Bruce’s men in charge.

With Alan Pardew fighting for his job and the locals disillusioned, that should have been that.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

but, instead, Cisse struck twice - the last with just three minutes remaining - to deny City all three points.

The day had begun with all the pressure on Newcastle and Alan Pardew, after the previous week’s defeat at Southampton had seen the Magpies slump to the foot of the Premier League table.

In the opening quarter, however, that was not evident with the hosts being by far the more impressive of the two teams.

Hull, wasteful when in possession, were penned back as a result as, first, Yoan Gouffran headed wide and then Remy Cabella shot straight at Allan McGregor.

The City goalkeeper also had to react smartly to deny Jack Colback before then holding on to a Gouffran header.

As the first half wore on, the Tigers started to stir but Livermore shot wide and Nikica Jelavic could only find the safe hands of Tim Krul when set up by the over-lapping Andrew Robertson.

City’s big break came four minutes after the break when a slick move saw Diame roll a pass to Ahmed Elmohamady, who crossed beautifully for Jelavic to volley past Krul in spectacular fashion.

The visitors should have doubled their lead just after the hour but Stephen Quinn shot wide after a deflected Tom Huddlestone shot had fallen invitingly at his feet.

Quinn’s profligacy followed, first, Cabella having an opening at the back post that McGregor smothered.

It was a let-off for Newcastle but on they failed to heed as, in the 68th minute, Diame thundered in a 25-yard shot that flicked the inside of Krul’s post before finding the net.

That really should have been that but Cisse gave Newcastle a lifeline five minutes later with a crisp finish that flew under McGregor.

Then, after Hull failed to deal with a left-wing cross, Cisse fired in from close range.

There was still time for Curtis Davies to volley just wide in stoppage time, as the game finished with honours even.