‘IT’S good to talk,’ may have been a very successful advertising slogan for BT in the mid-90s but Steve Bruce would be very happy if his ‘phone does not ring again until Tuesday night.
The Hull City manager is sweating over whether the final few days of the transfer window could yet see several of his star names lured away.
The wage cuts of 30-40 per cent that followed relegation from the Premier League plus the presence of release clauses in many contracts mean the Tigers are vulnerable to interest from higher up the football food chain.
As of last night, Bruce was happy to report that no bids had been made despite speculation linking Tom Huddlestone, Abel Hernandez, Michael Dawson, Nikica Jelavic and Ahmed Elmohamady with possible moves.
“Our problem remains the same,” said the Hull manager, who wants to add a goalkeeper to his squad before Tuesday’s deadline. “Everything could change with a ‘phone call.
“We hope there are no more calls. I really, really hope that. But there is something in me that says it is not over yet.
“Very quietly, we have let a large number of players leave and brought in six. It has been difficult but, it is all over on Tuesday, and then we can concentrate on the job ahead.”
City made an unsuccessful approach to Southend for goalkeeper Daniel Bentley earlier in the summer and Bruce admits he wants a new face to challenge Allan McGregor and Eldin Jakupovic.
“I don’t think having two goalkeepers is healthy,” added Bruce, who denied former Tiger Vito Mannone was on his list, though Legia Warsaw’s Dušan Kuciak could well be.