Cellino was scheduled to sever all ties with Leeds on Wednesday after losing his appeal against the League’s ruling that his conviction for tax evasion in Italy last March was in breach of their Owners and Directors’ Test and so barred him from being a director.
The Italian was at Elland Road on Tuesday night when Leeds beat Championship leaders Bournemouth, but was expected to leave his office by noon on Wednesday to start a suspension that is due to end on April 10 when his conviction expires under UK law.
A Football League spokesman said: “The Football League and Leeds United remain in ongoing dialogue about matters relating to the recent decision of the Professional Conduct Committee regarding Massimo Cellino.”
United have yet to confirm who will run the club in Cellino’s absence, while the 58-year-old said he was considering a further appeal after the League announced his disqualification had been upheld by the independent PCC’s hearing.
Speculation is mounting over whether Cellino will resume his position when his ban has been served. He faces further charges of tax evasion in Italy which could result in later disqualifications, but despite the PCC’s ruling, the League have not ordered him to sell his stake in the club.
Cellino’s company, Eleonora Sport Limited, bought 75 per cent of the club’s shares from previous owner Gulf Finance House Capital in April last year.