Sheffield Wednesday 1 Huddersfield Town 2: Owls slump to Terriers in derby defeat

MARTIN PATERSON and Adam Clayton, the protagonists in an alleged training ground bust-up last month, provided the knockout punches as Huddersfield Town floored Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Joel Lynch beats Matty Fryatt

The pair had not played in five weeks after being dropped by Mark Robins for their part in the clash ahead of October’s home clash with Leeds United.

But neither showed any signs of rustiness as Paterson and Clayton found the net either side of half-time to settle matters at Hillsborough in favour of thye West Yorkshire side.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

For Wednesday, meanwhile, the misery goes on as Dave Jones’ side were booed off both at half and full time.

With just one win to their name, the Owls are deep in trouble and there was precious little comfort to be taken from an awful performance against Town.

The half-time introduction of Jermaine Johnson did bring some much-needed life to the home side but, in truth, they were well beaten by their Yorkshire rivals.

Huddersfield dominated the opening 45 minutes. Having an extra body in midfield undoubtedly helped the Terriers assume control, with Wednesday being both out-numbered and out-gunned in the centre of the park.

This was never more evident than in the 11th minute when the visitors took the lead. A neat passing move was the catalyst, as the ball was worked to Adam Clayton who had the time to look up and pick out Paterson.

The summer signing from Burnley showed neat control before hitting a right footed shot that Damian Martinez got a hand to but could not prevent finding the corner of the net.

As the players celebrated in a corner of Hillsborough, Paterson and Clayton opted to re-enact their alleged training room spat as the goalscorer threw an imaginary punch and his team-mate fell to the ground as if felled by Mike Tyson.

The routine was a clear indication that spirits remain high in the Town camp and they could have had a second when the only other on-target effort of the first half saw Ollie Norwood bring a save from Martinez with a 25-yard effort that bobbled in front of the Owls goalkeeper.

Huddersfield missed a gilt-edged chance inside 60 seconds of the restart when Paul Dixon’s cross was diverted into the path of James Vaughan.

With the goal at his mercy, the Terriers skipper seemed certain to score only to then somehow shoot inches wide of the target.

It was a big let-off for Wednesday, who finally sparked into life as Matty Fryatt came within a whisker of heading a Jermaine Johnson cross.

The Owls’ Jamaican winger then brought Alex Smithies’ first save of the afternoon on 57 minutes with a fierce shot.

However, just as the hosts looked like getting back into the game, Town doubled their advantage via a drilled finish by Clayton after Norwood’s shot had been charged down.

Connor Wickham did pull a goal back from a 93rd minute free-kick but it too little and far too late as Wednesday crashed to another disappointing defeat.

For all the latest from Hillsborough and all our other Yorkshire games, including the Rugby League World Cup, check out our Live Sport link on the YP sports home page.