National League North: Purver earns vital Guiseley win, 10-man York grab draw, but defeat for Bradford PA

Guiseley gained a crucial three points as they beat Curzon Ashton 1-0 in National League North.

National League North

An Alex Purver strike with 15 minutes to go proved to be the difference.

After the result Guiseley joint-manager Russ O’Neill said: “It is a big three points, to get the goal, the clean sheet, it was a great evening for us all.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We now have that home win and want to build on it against York at the weekend.”

After the disappointment of losing at the weekend at Hereford, Guiseley started brightly, a corner was swung in and found Kaine Felix who flicked the effort past Curzon keeper Cam Mason but two defenders on the line were able to clear it away.

The hosts had an even better chance to take the lead soon after, another corner found Scott Garner who powered his header against the bar and it was eventually cleared.

Momentum was being built by the hosts but they suffered a blow when Lewis Archer on his home debut went off with a knock that seemed to affect the players.

Curzon had their first real opportunity just before the break, when Luke Wall ran into the area, on the edge of the box he aimed towards goal but Alex Purver did well to get his body in the way.

Wall had an even better chance when he shot from the edge of the area, it looked to be going in but Andy Halls got a vital touch on the ball and it went narrowly wide.

Guiseley would finally score a goal for the first time in five and a half weeks in the league when a long throw wasn’t cleared, it fell to Alex Purver who showed real persistence to place his effort into the bottom left-hand corner.

There was tension in the air during the closing stages but the Lions saw the game out and left with a big three point.

Ten-man York City battled back from 3-1 down to earn a 3-3 draw at FC United of Manchester, thanks to goals from Macaulay Langstaff and Wes York.

Dale Whitham (2) and Kurt Willoughby had put United 3-1 up after 48 minutes, Steve Watson’s side down to 10 men after Adriano Moke was sent off.

Bradford Park Avenue lost 2-1 at home to AFC Telford, Branson’s late goal a mere consolation after earlier efforts from McQuilkin and Udoh.