Brighouse Town 1 Guiseley 2: Quinn happy that Brighouse are up to speed as they test Guiseley

Ernest Boafo
Ernest Boafo
Have your say

Town gave a very accomplished performance against the Vanamara National Premier League newcomers and could have ended up winners.

However, as managers point out at this pre-season stage, the result is of no consequence, they only want to see performance and fitness levels and Paul Quinn certainly got those from his side.

Guiseley, who were trialling several players including experienced Football League striker Lewis Guy, who has been with Doncaster Rovers, Tranmere Rovers and Carlisle, and has an offer on the table from Queen of the South, were rocked at first by the pace of their hosts.

In the first eight minutes, it was all Town, including a super salvo from Steve Hollingworth which was blocked with keeper Tom Stewart beaten.

Then, in the ninth minute, Guiseley’s Rory Boulding had their first chance to score but, from a corner, his header hit the crossbar.

Six minutes later and Nicky Boshell went one-on-one with Town keeper Paul Hagreen but was thwarted.

Play was end-to-end and Town took a deserved lead on 17 minutes when Ryan Hall fed Hollingworth, who then brought Isaac Baldwin into the movement before playing the ball to Ernest Boafo, who just beat keeper Stewart to the ball.

The industrious and hard-tackling Tom Haigh was injured shortly afterwards and Sam Hewitt, back from holiday, replaced him.

England Under-18 Schoolboy international Baldwin could and should have made it 2-0 for Town in the 28th minute when he was put through be he did not, despite having pace, hone in on Stewart directly enough.

Shortly afterwards, Boulding had a fierce shot tipped for a corner and at the other end Guiseley full-back Kelvin Bleau was injured when blocking a goalbound shot from Hollingworth.

In the early stages of the second half, Town strove for a second and when it didn’t come, the manager replaced Hollingworth, who looks a good acquisition, with Tom Robinson.

Hall was rested to allow on captain Leon Henry and Development team keeper Luke Hirst came on for Hagreen.

Guiseley brought ex-FC Halifax Town player Danny Lowe into the action and he really cranked up his side. Wayne Brooksby was put in by Lowe and only had Hirst to beat but he fired over.

Two minutes later, and Town’s acting captain Adam Field clumsily brought down Nicky Boshell in the box. Referee Mark Powell pointed to the spot and it was Boshell who stepped up to convert the spot-kick on 64 minutes to equalise.

Town, at this point, through cramp lost their recruit from Huddersfield Town, Jimmy Pollard, who had looked very composed in midfield on his debut.

Connah Judson replaced him and Guiseley had brought on Parisian Piteu Cruz, whom they are trialling from Leeds United’s Academy.

He was played in by a sweet ball over the top by Lowe but faltered when he should have passed to Joe Gaughan with Hirst under pressure.

Gaughan did, however, get the winner for Guiseley in the 87th minute and Luke Porritt could have made it 3-1 on time but Hirst pulled off a great save.