FA Trophy: Lions forced to settle for replay

Have your say

Guiseley will have to do it all again after they drew away at Burscough after conceding a late goal in a 2-2 draw in the FA Trophy.

The Lions would have left this match frustrated after having a lot of possession and good chances but they couldn’t finish the resilient opponents off and they were able to grab a goal near the end.

Despite the torrential rain which threatened to have the game called off, the Burscough pitch was able withstand the weather throughout, although the wind and rain at times made it difficult for both sides.

Guiseley took the lead when Tom Craddock was able to make contact with an Adam Boyes cross, his effort was a smart finish and with the first real attack of the match the visitors were ahead.

Guiseley then thought they had doubled their lead when Craddock produced a good finish, but the offside flag was raised.

The away side were unable to add to their lead during the remainder of the first half and at the start of the second Gavin Rothery saw an effort go just wide.

With Guiseley only being a goal up there was always a chance Burscough could equalize and they did from the penalty spot.

This was when Michael Monaghan was fouled in the area by Danny Lowe, Monaghan was able to step up and score past Guiseley keeper Dan Atkinson.

But Guiseley retook the lead almost immediately when Lowe fired from 20 yards out and the ball flew into the corner of the goal, and it looked like this would be the winning goal and Guiseley would progress to the next round.

But while Guiseley are still in the hat they will have to defeat Burscough on Tuesday at Nethermoor Park, in the replay after Will Jones got a leveller in the 88th minute.

Burscough: Hare, Camozzi, Quirk, Brown, Ryan, Williams, Monaghan, Smart, Jones, Noon (Caddick 60), Connolly.

Unused substitutes: Smith, Conway, Devine and Jewell.

Guiseley: Atkinson, Toulson, Lowe, Lawlor, Lockwood, Smith (N.Boshell 80), Norburn, Hatfield, Boyes (L.Dickinson 85), Craddock and Rothery.

Unused substitutes: Drench, D.Boshell and Danny Hall.

Referee: Wayne Barrett (Worcestershire).

Elsewhere, FC Halifax Town’s hosting of Tamworth failed to beat the weather and was postponed.