FC Halifax 2 Kidderminster 0: Aspin delighted by Halifax’s response

FC Halifax's Lois Maynard was on target against Kidderminster.
FC Halifax's Lois Maynard was on target against Kidderminster.
Have your say

FC Halifax Town manager Neil Aspin described his team’s win over Kidderminster as the most satisfying result of the season so far.

First-half goals from Lois Maynard and Richard Peniket helped move the Shaymen back up to second in the Vanarama Conference and banished memories of the club’s 4-1 defeat at Eastleigh the previous week.

Aspin said: “In the season overall that’s probably the most satisfying result considering I rate Kidderminster highly and we saw last year how good they can be.

“I think it shows how we’ve improved as a team but also the fact that we’ve had a couple of poor performances, and on the back of a big defeat last week, with everybody writing us off and us getting quite a bit of criticism.

“So, the best way to answer that is by winning the game and keeping a clean sheet.”

Peniket was one of the outstanding performers despite only discovering he was starting shortly before kick-off when Danny Hattersley was taken ill.

He provided a superb assist for Maynard with a lovely flick in-field before the midfielder lashed the ball beyond Danny Lewis.

Peniket then pounced on Chey Dunkley’s weak back-header before firing low past Lewis for Halifax’s second in five minutes.

Ahmed Obeng fired narrowly over for Kidderminster before Marvin Johnson registered their first shot on target with 20 minutes left. Dunkley then powered a header against a post before Obeng’s goal-bound strike was blocked by Maynard.

FC Halifax: Glennon, K Roberts, M Roberts, Williams, McManus, Pearson, Ainge, Maynard, Marshall (Smith 46), Boden (Jackson 58), Peniket. Unused substitutes: Senior, Bolton, Schofield.

Kidderminster Harriers: Lewis, Hodgkiss, Dunkley, Obeng, Nicholson, Grimes, Verma (O’Keefe 66), Gittings (Johnson 52), Byrne, Blissett (Styche 78), Gash. Unused substitutes:Green, Reid.

Referee: Martin Coy

Man of the match: Marc Roberts.