FC Halifax Town 1 Barnet 1: Late leveller deservedly rescues Shaymen

FC Halifax Town's Lois Maynard.
FC Halifax Town's Lois Maynard.
Have your say

LOIS MAYNARD scored for the second time in two games as his dramatic added-time equaliser earned FC Halifax Town a point against table-toppers Barnet at the Shay.

Curtis Weston had scored at the Shay for the second season running and looked to have given Barnet all three points.

But a dramatic late fightback from The Shaymen rescued a deserved point, with Barnet defender David Stephens seeing red in an action-packed spell of added time.

Weston almost scored in the first half after a beautifully-weighted through-ball by Mauro Vilhete, but Matt Glennon rushed off his line to block the shot.

The Shaymen forced a seemingly-incessant run of corners midway through the first-half and somehow failed to score from them, with Richard Peniket twice denied by Graham Stack from close-range.

Sloppy defending from Town then allowed Vilhete a sight of goal, but his drilled shot crashed back off the far post.

John Akinde fired straight at Glennon after latching onto a hopeful long pass before Weston then headed in a near-post corner with a quarter of the game to go.

Town responded well to the setback, with substitute Jack Muldoon bringing a fine save from Stack and Peniket only denied a clear chance by a last-ditch tackle.

Stephens was sent-off in added time for a crude challenge on Matt Pearson earned the Barnet man a second yellow.

From the resulting free-kick, Peniket’s effort came back off the post before being scrambled in by Maynard for his 11th goal of the campaign.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Bolton, M Roberts, Hutchison, McManus, Smith (Muldoon 64), Maynard, Pearson, Marshall (Hattersley 88), Jackson, Peniket. Subs not used: Senior, Williams, K Roberts.

Barnet: Stack, Yiadom, N’Gala, Stephens, Muggleton (Cook 58), Vilhete, Togwell, Johnson, Weston, Clifford (Gash 46), Akinde (Saville 90). Subs not used: Cowler, Villa.

Referee: Ross Joyce (York)