Guiseley 1 Boreham Wood 1: Bower demands more clinical finishing power

Boreham Wood's Ricky Shakes clears from Guiseley's George Maris at Nethermoor (Picture: Bruce Rollinson).
Boreham Wood's Ricky Shakes clears from Guiseley's George Maris at Nethermoor (Picture: Bruce Rollinson).
Have your say

Guiseley secured a point after scoring late from the penalty spot at home to Boreham Wood.

Home manager Mark Bower was unhappy with his side’s finishing power.

“Teams are always going to have a spell of pressure against you – we had chances in the first half and didn’t take them and in the second half they started to create and got their goal. We needed to take those early chances to win the game.”

Guiseley started with a series of attacks and George Maris was unlucky to see his curling effort go just over the bar.

Jake Lawlor then saw his goalbound effort cleared off the line by the Boreham Wood defence.

Adam Boyes and Tom Craddock also combined well, but the resulting effort did not unduly trouble the goalkeeper and, as the half-time whistle blew, the hosts knew they should have been ahead with the chances they had created.

The second half started with Boreham Wood attacking from the off, though Billy Clifford was unable to get his shot on target when placed well on goal.

The visitors were soon ahead after a well-worked move was finished off by midfield player Clovis Kamdjo, who was able to get his head onto the ball and see it go past Steve Drench.

Boreham Wood should have then doubled their lead when Ricky Shakes got past the back line and was one on one with Drench, who came to Guiseley’s rescue with a save.

Guiseley went forward trying to grab the equaliser and substitute Luke Porritt was just unable to get his effort on target.

The hosts got their leveller as the clock reached 90 minutes when Joe Devera was fouled in the area, referee John Brook pointed to the spot and Nicky Boshell kept his cool to get the scores level.

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Lowe, Lockwood, Lawlor, Brooksby (Porritt 67), Boyes, Craddock (N Boshell 62), Hatfield, Maris, Atkinson. Unused substitutes: D Boshell, Hall, D Atkinson.

Boreham Wood: Russell, Woodards, Cox, Reynolds, Shakes, MacDonald (Morias 86), Lucas, C. Clifford, B. Clifford, Clamdjo, Devera. Unused substitutes: Nunn, Howell, Jeffrey, Tieyaki.

Referee: J Brook (Leicestershire).

Man of the match: Steve Drench.