North Ferriby United 1 Solihull Moors 4: Housham says sorry to supporters

National League.
National League.
Have your say

North Ferriby United slumped to a 4-1 home defeat to Solihull Moors in the National League,

The first-half was fairly even but scrappy affair. Both sides misplaced passes, played hurriedly and made unforced errors. The game really needed somebody to put their foot on the ball and exert some sort of control.

Both sides came close to scoring on just one occasion. Shepherd Murombedzi went close with an angled shot for Moors. At the other end, Mark Gray rose unchallenged to place a header wide.

When players had the ball at their feet they were given little time to dwell on the ball with both sides’ midfield and defences putting in strong challenges. In the second-half the challenges becme rather niggly and in a game with no bad fouls there were eight cautions,

The game only really came to life just before half-time. Up to that point neither defence or keeper had had any real problems.

Murombedzi broke down the right and fired in a strong shot that Rory Watson pushed on the bar. Simeon Maye reacted quickly to score from close range.

Ferriby’s response was swift with Robbie Tinkler hammering home an unstoppable shot after Moors failed to fully clear a corner.

Ferriby went in at half-time feeling that there was something to be taken from the game. Unfortunately, the side produced a dismal display and never looked like scoring. Solihull dominated from start to finish. Ferriby only managed one on target shot from Danny Emerton and that was comfortably taken by Nathan Baxter.

George Carline, Oladapo Afolayan and Murombedzi continually created problems for Ferriby and a goal was only a matter of time in coming. Afolayan went close on a couple of occasions and it always seemed when, rather than if, Solihull would regain the lead.

Moors regained the lead after 63 minutes when Omari Sterling-James was allowed to break through the back four and fire past Watson.

After 76 minutes Carline produced a well-placed header for the third goal and that virtually sealed the game.

Solihull were well in control and the fourth goal deep in added time was the icing on the game. Substitute Nortel Nortey score with a low shot following a poor clearance by the Ferriby defence.

Ferriby could have no complaints about the result but the second-half performance is a different matter.

The defeat means that Ferriby have a mountain to climb if they are to escape the bottom four. They still remain six points from safety but their goal difference effectively makes it seven. It is going to be a big ask with just seven games remaining.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was bitterly disappointed after the game,

“At half-time I thought we could have taken something from the game but our second-half performance was our worst of the season. We worked hard in the first half and responded quickly to their goal but we were a different side in the second-half. The standards were nowhere near what we have produced or expect.

“I can only apologise to the fans on behalf of the players for our second-half display. The players have let themselves anfd the fans down. There needs to be a big response against tranmere on Tuesday.