York City sack Mills after FA Cup exit - plus non-league round-up

editorial image
Have your say

York City have axed manager Gary Mills after crashing out of the FA Cup to South Shields.

Coupled with City’s poor league form - they currently sit seventh in the National League North table - after relegation last season - the Cup exit in the third qualifying round was the last straw for the Minstermen.

The club has terminated the contracts of first team manager Mills and assistant manager Darren Caskey with immediate effect.

Chairman and owner Jason McGill said: “It is never an easy decision to sack a manager but the club needs to take this action based on the evidence of performances and results over the course of the last 12 months.

“Having kept faith with Gary Mills in the wake of relegation last season, we are now 12 games into the new campaign and the current league position is unacceptable.

“Despite relegation, we have maintained our status as a full-time club. Since his appointment last October, the manager has received our full backing in his plans to overhaul the squad with one of the biggest spending budgets in this division.

“Unfortunately, the board does not feel that the aim of winning promotion this season is going to be achieved without this change,” McGill added.

Mills, who previously managed the club between 2010-2013, was re-appointed as manager in October 2016. The club has won 13 out of 43 league games since his return to Bootham Crescent and sit 11 points adrift of the only automatic promotion place.

In Saturday’s game, York suffered a shock 3-2 loss at South Shields.

Gavin Cogden netted the winner, after York had battled back - with goals from Sean Newton and Jon Parkin - from early strikes by Carl Finnigan and Julio Orca.

Elsewhere in the FA Cup, Ossett Town will replay tomorrow night at Ingfield, after a 2-2 draw at 1874 Northwich.

It was the same scoreline at Scarborough Athletic, at home to Stratford Town.

Harrogate Town and Bradford Park Avenue must also replay after their match finished scoreless,

FC Halifax Town dropped out of the National League play-off places after they lost 2-0 at Ebbsfleet.

After an even first-half, Town conceded for only the second away game in seven this season through substitute Sean Shields, who added another later in the half.

Guiseley suffered a 3-0 defeat at Maidenhead United, the hosts scoring via Upward, Pritchard and Comley.