Preview: Barnsley v Burnley: Steele shows commitment as Tykes eye leading pack

BARNSLEY goalkeeper Luke Steele has committed his future to the club for another two years.

Steele's current deal was due to expire in the summer but he will now be staying at Oakwell until summer 2013.

His decision is a welcome boost for the Tykes who are chasing play-off qualification ahead of a busy period of four games in the space of nine days over the festive and New Year period.

Steele, 26, joined the club in February 2008 and was a member of the side that reached the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley courtesy of victories over Liverpool and Chelsea.

He won his battle to keep the No 1 jersey when Heinz Muller returned from injury and has been a regular in the side for the majority of the last two seasons.

Manager Mark Robins said: "I am very happy that Luke has re-signed for the club. He has had a couple of years playing first team football and is at an age where there is still room to improve. He has plenty of seasons ahead of him as well."

Steele began his career at Peterborough United but was snapped up by Manchester United at the age of 17 for a 500,000 fee. Although he spent four years at Old Trafford, he was unable to impact on the first team and subsequently joined West Bromwich Albion in 2006.

Steele said: "I'm delighted to stay at the club and I can concentrate on the rest of the season. This is where I want to be."

The Tykes host Burnley on Boxing Day and are 'extremely confident' that the fixture will go ahead despite sub-zero temperatures in South Yorkshire. Thanks to undersoil heating, the pitch will almost certainly be playable and, although there have been some burst pipes around the stadium, the problems are not yet sufficient to warrant a postponement.

Robins and his players have trained indoors this week and are desperate to get back into action after the late postponement of last weekend's game at Millwall.

"We travelled down the night before and it was called off just before noon," said Robins.

"The weather was horrendous and, like everyone else, we spent 11-and-a-half hours trying to get home.

"It was just one of those freak things that happen once in a long time."

Burnley manager Brian Laws is under pressure after victories in just two of the club's last eight league games.