Rodgers suffers at hands of his former club as Swans progress

Nathan Dyer
Nathan Dyer
Have your say

Liverpool’s defence of the League Cup ended as Brendan Rodgers’s selection gamble backfired – allowing former club Swansea progressed to the quarter-finals for the first time in their history.

The Northern Irishman left the south Wales club in the summer to take over from Kenny Dalglish but it was the visitors who had the last laugh in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup at Anfield.

Chico Flores and Nathan Dyer put the Swans 2-0 up with 17 minutes to go and although substitute Luis Suarez quickly pulled one back De Guzman made it 3-1 in added time to loosen the eight-time winners’ grip on the trophy.

Big-name stars Steven Gerrard and Suarez were left on the benchby Rodgers but they were dragged on at half-time.

Swansea, who were not short of confidence, took their chance in the 34th minute.

Ki-sung Yeung’s low shot was parried wide and Chico beat Sebastian Coates to De Guzman’s corner to power home a header.

It was their first goal at a Premier League ground since winning 5-0 at QPR on the opening day of the season.

The visiting fans, filling three-quarters of the lower tier of the Anfield Road end, sang ‘Brendan, what’s the score?’ and also suggested Liverpool were just a poor imitation of Swansea.

Rodgers wasted no time in sending for the cavalry, bringing on Gerrard and Suarez for the disappointing Cole and the out-of-his-depth 18-year-old Samed Yesil at half-time.

Instantly the hosts were lifted and Jonjo Shelvey fired over just two minutes after the re-start.

Gerrard came closer on the hour, firing a low shot against the post and Rodgers’s final throw of the dice was to send on Raheem Sterling but Swansea were in no mood just to defend their lead and, in the 72nd minute, doubled it when Dyer poked home.

Liverpool got a quick response when Suarez headed in Gerrard’s free-kick three minutes later but they could not force another and De Guzman made the result safe deep into added time.