Fleetwood 1 Rotherham 1: Arnason breaks duck in absorbing encounter

Share this article
Have your say

Icelandic International Kari Arnason struck his first goal for the Millers as they took a deserved point from their first visit to the Highbury Stadium.

The clash of two of the division’s big hitters was an absorbing contest and Steve Evans’ side will have been disappointed with the outcome having bossed the second half.

The goal action was compressed into 60 seconds in a tight first period. Arnason put the Millers ahead on 19 minutes when he drilled in from the edge of the penalty area after goalkeeper Scott Davies failed to deal with a high free kick from Mark Bradley

The 1,000 travelling supporters had only just stopped celebrating when Fleetwood broke down the flank through Shaun Beeley and his cross was struck in on the half-volley by Jon Parkin.

The big striker should have had another when he screwed wide after working himself space 20 yards out but chances were at a premium up to half-time between the evenly matched sides. The game opened up in the second half and it took a terrific double save by Davies, showing great reflexes to thwart Alex Revell and then substitute Gareth Evans’s follow up, to prevent Rotherham regaining the lead.

The expected second-half surge from Fleetwood failed to materialise and it was the visitors that looked the likelier, with Revell failing to capitalise on a great chance from 10 yards and then being foiled by a superb save by the inspired Davies. Fleetwood were the more relieved side to hear the final whistle.

Fleetwood Town: Davies, Beeley, Howell, McNulty, Mawene, Obeng, Fowle (Marrow 64), Ferguson, McGuire, Parkin (Brown 55), Ball (Barhuizen 79). Unused substitutes: Milligan, Nicholson, Goodall, Maxwell.

Rotherham United: Warrington; Bradley, Morris, Sharps, Morgan, Devitt (Evans 46), Arnason (O’Connor 46), Frecklington, Pringle, Odejayi, Revell. Unused substitutes: Taylor, Nardiello, Hunt, Agard, Thompson.

Referee: C Foy (St Helens).