Rotherham United 2 Wolves 2: Stubbs unhappy at dropped points

Rotherham United.
Rotherham United.
Have your say

Walter Zenga got a stern introduction to life in English football, but his Wolves side passed their first test as they came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Rotherham in the SkyBet Championship.

It looked like being a nightmare start for the Italian, who last week replaced Kenny Jackett at Molineux, as his side found themselves 2-0 down inside the opening 20 minutes as the hosts made a lightning start.

The Millers, also under a new boss in Alan Stubbs, went ahead through Danny Ward and Will Vaulks and threatened to blow Wolves away.

But a lifeline from George Saville just before the break started Wolves’ comeback and, despite Dominic Iorfa being dismissed early in the second half, they found an equaliser in the 65th minute through Iceland striker Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.

They could easily have gone on to claim an unlikely win, but both sides had to settle for a point in a pulsating opening-day clash.

Stubbs could not have dreamed for a better start to life in the Millers dugout as his side blew Wolves away in the opening 20 minutes.

They went ahead with nine minutes on the clock when Ward nipped in front of his marker from Anthony Forde’s corner to head into the bottom corner.

The lead was doubled 11 minutes later in fine style as debutant Vaulks smashed a swerving 25-yard volley into the bottom corner for an early goal-of-the-season contender.

Wolves, woefully off the pace for the opening 39 minutes, were then handed a lifeline by some generous Rotherham defending.

United allowed Matt Doherty’s innocuous ball to run into the area and Saville latched on to it, went around Lee Camp and slotted home.

Any hopes Wolves had of hitting the Millers early in the second half were soon undone when Iorfa saw red for pulling back Jon Taylor when he was through on goal - albeit 30 yards out.

But that did not deter them and they drew themselves level in the 65th minute with a great finish from Dadi Bodvarsson.

Fellow new signing Joao Teixeira ran at the Rotherham defence and slipped in the Iceland international who superbly finished into the top corner from an acute angle.

Wolves looked the more likely to go on and win it, but despite plenty of pressure and territory, they could not fashion out any clear-cut chances and it ended all-square.

Understandably, Stubbs moaned about dropping two points.

“There were a lot of positives to take, right now it feels like it is two points dropped rather than a point gained,” he said.

“The two goals were sloppy and ones we should have prevented.

“I thought we looked a real threat, when we went 2-0 up I thought we sorted to make one or two wrong decisions, which didn’t reflect those of the first 25 which got us a lot of joy.

“It was mixed, I was pleased with certain elements and a part of me was frustrated as we didn’t get a reward for the position we put ourselves in.

“I am pleased with certain aspects, but I am disappointed because we should have taken three points today.”

Rotherham: Camp, Kelly, Broadfoot, Wood, Mattock, Frecklington,

Vaulks, Forster-Caskey, Forde, Danny Ward, Taylor. Subs: Allan,

Price, Halford, Kelvin Wilson, Thorpe, Smallwood, Yates.

Wolverhampton: Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Hause, Doherty, Edwards,

Evans, Saville, Wallace, Bodvarsson, Henry. Subs: Helder Costa,

Mason, Coady, Price, Lonergan, Joao Teixeira, Deslandes.

Referee: Scott Duncan (Tyne & Wear)

Click here for Live Updates from the game...

Click here for latest fixtures and scores...