Rotherham United 2 Wycombe Wanderers 3: Millers let it slip as McClure turns on magic to seal Wycombe’s win

Have your say

Bottom side Wycombe Wanderers came from behind to upset promotion-chasing Rotherham United at a stunned New York stadium.

Two goals by Matt McClure early in the second half turned the contest, after Rotherham, beset by injury problems, had the dream start of a goal after only 16 seconds.

Daniel Nardiello claimed it after young goalkeeper Jordan Archer spilled a ball onto him and it rebounded into the net.

It was expected that struggling Wycombe would crumble after that, but they worked their way back into the game and went on to deservedly record their first win in six.

Stuart Lewis missed a good chance before the equaliser arrived just before the half hour mark via captain Dave Winfield’s glancing header from a Josh Scholen free kick.

The goal lifted the visitors and they looked the likelier before the Millers robbed them with a great second goal 10 minutes before the break, vollied in on the full by defender Mark Bradley from a corner by Pringle.

Home goalkeeper Andy Warrington denied Dean Morgan at his near post, but the night was transformed by two strikes on 50 and 55 minutes from the impressive McClure.

First he outwitted makeshift defender Jason Taylor to rifle home before latching on to Joel Grant’s well-delivered through ball and lifting the ball over the stranded Warrington.

To rub salt in the wounds, the Millers had to play the last quarter of an hour with ten men after losing Josh Morris to injury, having used all their subs while Charles Dunne hit the bar for the visitors late on.

Rotherham United: Warrington; Bradley, Morris, Sharps, Taylor; Rooney (Hunt 63), Pringle, Frecklington (Evans 46), Cameron; Revell (Odejayi 56), Nardiello. Unused substitutes: Thompson, Wilson, Rose, Walker.

Wycombe Wanderers: Archer; Foster (Keweley-Graham 81), Dunne, Winfield, Johnson; Lewis, Grant (Wood 63), Andrade (Ainsworth 85), Scowen; Morgan, McClure. Unused substitutes: Harrison, Oli, Morias, Hause.

Referee: R Lewis (Shropshire).