Fryatt staying with the Owls as Blades chief finally gets his man

BOTH Sheffield clubs strengthened their squads yesterday with Matty Fryatt extending his loan from Hull City to Hillsborough and Aidan White heading from Elland Road to Bramall Lane.

Matty Fryatt

Wednesday have extended the loan deal of Hull City striker Fryatt for another month.

Fryatt, who has scored twice in five appearances for the Owls since moving in September, will now remain at Hillsborough until November 30.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The 27-year-old netted a thumping equaliser against South Yorkshire rivals Barnsley at Oakwell on Saturday, as Wednesday extended their run of league draws to four with a 1-1 stalemate.

However, Wednesday are the only side in the Football League without a league win this season, having scored just 12 goals in as many games.

Leeds’s White will see out 2013 with Sheffield United after becoming new manager Nigel Clough’s first signing. White has signed for the Blades until January 1 and is preparing to make his debut at Shrewsbury Town this weekend, having failed to play regularly under United manager Brian McDermott.

The 22-year-old left-back made his only league appearance of the season at home to Burnley last month, replacing the suspended Stephen Warnock, and he has struggled to hold down a place in McDermott’s match-day squads.

He was not involved in United’s 3-2 defeat at Huddersfield Town and his move to Sheffield comes little over a week after the Blades appointed Clough in place of the sacked David Weir.

Clough previously made moves to court White while manager of Derby County in the summer of 2012 but Derby declined to offer the out-of-contract youngster a deal amid concerns about the amount of compensation they would be ordered to pay Leeds.

Wigan goalkeeper Scott Carson faces a spell on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

The former Leeds, Owls and England international turned his ankle during the warm-up prior to Sunday’s Championship clash with Charlton and left The Valley on crutches.

He was replaced by youngster Lee Nicholls, who impressed on his league debut with a clean sheet in the 0-0 draw.