Sheffield United 1 Scunthorpe United 1: Blades should not be disappointed after that, claims Chris Wilder

Sheffield United's Billy Sharp nets.
Sheffield United's Billy Sharp nets.
Have your say

Sheffield United had to settle for a share of the points against 10-man Scunthorpe United at Bramall Lane.

In a battle of the top two in League One, the Iron took the lead against the run of play on 47 minutes, via Paddy Madden, before Billy Sharp equalised two minutes later.

Blades boss Chris Wilder said: ”There’s a little bit if disappointment in the dressing room, but I have told them there is no need for that.

“That was a proper performance by my team.

“We are disappointed not to have scored more, in the first half we could have been 2-0 or 3-0 up.

“But the attitude of the team, the supporters, the club has been outstanding.

“Sheffield is a footballing city, two big clubs in the city, and the people here love their football. When the players are walking off, getting a standing ovation after a 1-1 draw, I think that tells the story.”

Strike duo Sharp and James Hanson were joined by the return of Kieron Freeman and Mark Duffy from the Blades team which drew at Bristol Rovers in midweek.

United started the better and should have been in front at half time.

Both Sharp and Mark Duffy went close, while Hanson saw his header saved by Luke Daniels in the Iron’s goal.

United dominated the opening half, and the visitors were getting frustrated, with some poor tackles flying in.

Home fans were calling for a red card when Kevin van Veen left his foot in on Jake Wright, but Premier League referee Mike Jones only issued a yellow.

United were caught cold at the start of the second half, a rare Iron attack and Paddy Madden netted in front of the visiting fans.

But Sharp equalised within two minutes, Hanson’s header caused panic, and Sharp pounced for his 21st goal of the campaign.

Scunthorpe had been putting in some hefty tackles, and eventually saw red, as Harry Toffolo was sent off for challenge on Freeman.

Credit to Scunthorpe, they kept two strikers up front, but the Blades were in control and pushing for a winner.

With time running out, Chris Wilder threw on Caolan Lavery for Hanson, in his hunt for an equaliser.

And the substitute came close to scoring, chesting down a super cross-field ball, but Daniels was quickly out to thwart him.

Sharp flicked the ball the wrong side of the post, while Duffy saw his curling cross evade everyone.

Scunthorpe nearly nicked a winner when Madden fired against the post, following Sam Mantom’s cross, before Stephen Dawson went down in the box looking for a penalty.

Blades substitite Jay O’Shea also went close, hitting the inside of the post only for the ball to bounce back into the arms of a relieved Daniels in five minutes of stoppage time.

Blades: Moore, Fleck, O’Connell, Basham, Sharp, Wright, Coutts, Hanson, Freeman, Duffy, Lafferty, Subs: Long, Lavery, Done, Riley, Ebaks-Landell, O’Shea, Carruthers.

Scunthorpe: Daniels, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden, van Veen, Morris, Bishop, Toffolo, Crooks, Sutton. Subs: Anyon, Hopper, Mantom, Holmes, Goode, Toney, Davies.

Referee: Michael Jones.