Match report: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Bristol City 3

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday slumped at home to Bristol City at Hillsborough as their Championship relegation clash ended in defeat.

Wednesday took the lead after just two minutes, Chris Lines whipped in a corner in front of the Kop and Miguel Llera was unmarked to head home.

The centre-half then tried his luck with a 30-yard free kick, but it flew low into the arms of City goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

Wednesday had made a bright start, Chris O’Grady and Gary Madine linking up well to give the latter a chance but he failed to test the goalkeeper.

O’Grady then missed an even easier chance after a superb break down the right by winger Michail Antonio found the striker eight yards out, but he ballooned his first-time effort over the crossbar.

But for all their dominance, Wednesday were pegged back on 16 minutes after a penalty from Sam Baldock.

Llera tripped the striker inside the box and referee Andre Marriner had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Thereafter in the first half it became a scrappy affair, Wednesday left-back Jeremy Helan producing a last-ditch tackle to halt Albert Adomah while at the other end Madine had a half-hearted penalty appeal waved away after he went down far too easily under a challenge.

Madine came close to giving the Owls the lead once more on 56 minutes. Again, he combined well with O’Grady to find himself six yards out in front of goal but goalkeeper Heaton dropped on his low shot and there was no-one following up to tuck the loose ball away.

A foul on Madine brought a swift free-kick as the Owls looked to increase the tempo, but Llera failed to keep his header down and the chance was gone.

City had a chance on 67 minutes, but Liam Fontaine guided his header wide from a corner, while David Prutton bundled an effort off the line as the visitors threatened.

Wednesday’s goal came from a swift counter-attack as City sensed a winner themselves.

Jermaine Johnson romped down the centre of the park, before hammering a well-hit shot which Heaton could only parry and Madine was on hand to fire the ball in.

But the lead was shortlived as the hosts again conceded another penalty.

This time Madine – under little pressure - was penalised for handling the ball, and Baldock stepped up to hammer the 84th minute spot-kick into the roof of the net.

Three minutes later, Adomah blasted a 20-yard free kick beyond a stranded Chris Kirkland to complete a remarkable turnaround.

Madine thought he had netted a stoppage-time equaliser but referee Marriner gave City a foul to the astonishment of the 20,000 Hillsborough crowd.