Withdrawal of Rooney fuels talk of transfer

Wayne Rooney last night pulled out of Manchester United’s pre-season trip to Sweden with an injured shoulder as uncertainty continues to swirl over the striker’s future at the club.

Just hours after United confirmed they had “immediately rejected” a second offer from Chelsea for the 27-year-old – thought to be for around £25m plus add ons – it was announced that Rooney would not be travelling to Stockholm to play AIK Fotboll tonight.

The club said Rooney had injured a shoulder in the behind-closed-doors game against Real Betis on Saturday, but that has caused inevitable speculation that it was a convenient injury while his future remains uncertain – something United strongly deny.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Some reports state Rooney is now considering making an official transfer request though it is unclear if that would help his cause, having already told the club he wants a move – and it would further alienate United fans.

A United spokesman said: “A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale.”

United manager David Moyes insisted Rooney’s injury was not serious, and there are other matches coming up including Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial on Friday and the Community Shield against Wigan at Wembley on Sunday.

“Wayne hurt his shoulder in a fall during a match on Saturday,” said Moyes. “It’s not too serious and I don’t expect it to keep him out for too long.

“I’m disappointed he’s missing the game because we were keen to get him back involved and ready to play.”

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has made the England striker his top transfer target and Rooney told Sir Alex Ferguson last season that he wanted a move. Moyes has repeatedly stressed that Rooney is not for sale. This is the second injury to have affected Rooney in pre-season. The player flew home from Thailand earlier in July with a hamstring injury.