Wolverhampton 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0: Luhukay full of praise for Owls rookie

Sky Bet Championship winners Wolves were frustrated in their bid to break the 100-point barrier as Sheffield Wednesday held them to a 0-0 draw.

Sheffield Wednesday's Atdhe Nuhiu in action.
Sheffield Wednesday's Atdhe Nuhiu in action.

Wolves were desperate for a victory in the penultimate game of the season so that they could celebrate the milestone in front of their own fans at Molineux.

They dominated proceedings but could not find a way past Wednesday's inspired goalkeeper Cameron Dawson.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Dawson, 22, who was making only the fourth Championship appearance of his career, stood up to everything that Wolves threw at him as the visitors held on for a creditable point following back-to-back wins over Hull and Reading.

Wolves now need at least a draw in their final game of the campaign at relegated Sunderland to reach 100 points.

The hosts were given a guard of honour by the Wednesday players as they made their way on to the pitch before the game.

But that was the only gift Wednesday were prepared to hand over without a fight as they probed the Wolves' defence in the opening stages, with striker Atdhe Nuhiu proving a real handful.

Despite their positive opening spell, Wednesday failed to test goalkeeper John Ruddy andWolves eventually started to dictate matters.

Wednesday skipper Tom Lees came to the rescue of his side in the 15th minute when he blocked a drive from Diogo Jota after a neat through-ball from Ruben Neves.

Four minutes later, Wolves midfielder Romain Saiss tried his luck from the edge of the area only to drag his shot wide.

Benik Afobe then squandered a golden chance to make Wolves' pressure pay when he intercepted a misplaced back pass in the 33rd minute.

Afobe only had Dawson to beat but the keeper forced him wide and the on-loan Bournemouth striker dragged his shot across the face of goal.

Dawson then denied Jota before making his best save of the opening period three minutes before the interval.

Barry Douglas floated over a right-wing corner and Saiss headed it towards goal from close range only for Dawson to somehow push the ball to safety around the post.

Dawson had no respite at the start of the second half when he again blocked a shot from Jota after he was picked out by Helder Costa.

Jota was on a personal mission to give Wolves the lead but could not find a way past Dawson, who tipped away his 52nd-minute cross-shot.

Wolves continued to squander chances, substitute Bright Enobakhare dragging his angled shot well wide of the post from 10 yards when he only had Dawson to beat in the 78th minute.

Dawson then dived bravely at the feet of substitute Leo Bonatini five minutes from time as Wednesday held on for a point.

Wednesday manager Jos Luhukay was full of praise for his side's performance and the display of Dawson.

He said: "I think that over 90 minutes it was a good game for us.

"At the start of the second half, Wolves had more pressure with two or three good chances but Cammy was fantastic.

"The team was very stable and we had a lot of confidence as well to come here and when we could do, we played football.

"I am satisfied after we played against the best team in the league. To have a draw here is for us a very good result.

"When something was dangerous we had Cammy.

"Cammy was a very good keeper to clear the situations. For a young keeper like Cammy it is important to get experience in a stadium like this. It was a good challenge for him."

Luhukay also paid tribute to Wolves and added: "When you stay in position number one and have so many wins it is all credit to Wolves.

"They have a fantastic team and it is not easy when you are the favourite for the season and every opponent gives 120 per cent to try and win."