Accrington Stanley 1 York City 1: Minstermen continue to cough up points

York boss Nigel Worthington
York boss Nigel Worthington
Have your say

YORK City have now surrendered 16 points from winning positions this season after being pegged back at Accrington Stanley.

The Minstermen forged in front following Wes Fletcher’s eighth goal of the season, but George Bowerman replied for the hosts in first-half stoppage time.

The draw also represented the fifth successive game that has ended honours even for Nigel Worthington’s men.

York’s on-loan goalkeeper Aaron McCarey reacted smartly to keep out James Gray’s header during the opening exchanges.

But it was the visitors who drew first blood on 35 minutes after Fletcher had been dragged down in the penalty box by Dean Winnard. The former Burnley forward, who once spent two months on loan at Accrington, made no mistake from the spot, converting his second penalty of the season with a firm shot to home goalkeeper Andrew Dawber’s left.

James Beattie’s men got back on level terms when an untidy scramble ended with Bowerman’s scuffed shot creeping into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Both teams had opportunities to win the game after the interval.

Substitute Michael Coulson missed the best chance for York when he headed wide with the goal at his mercy from Luke O’Neill’s cross within seconds of his introduction as a half-time replacement. Josh Carson also fired high into the sidenetting for Worthington’s team.

At the other end, Gray prodded wide after breaking the offside trap and Kai Naismith tested McCarey with a swerving 20-yard


Accrington Stanley: Dawber; Hunt, Aldred, Winnard, Naylor; Mingoia, Murphy, Joyce, Naismith, Bowerman, Gray (Webber, 70). Unused substitutes: Liddle McCartan, Richardson, Hatfield, Windass, Atkinson.

York City: McCarey; O’Neill, McGurk, Lowe, Davies; Oyebanjo (Coulson, 46), Montrose, Whitehouse, Carson; Jarvis (Bowman, 70), Fletcher. Unused substitutes: Fyfield, Ingham, Puri, Chambers, Platt.

Referee: M Heywood (Cheshire).