AFC Wimbledon 3 York City 1: Minstermen exit after failing to maintain early momentum

ON TARGET: York City's Wes Fletcher.
ON TARGET: York City's Wes Fletcher.
Have your say

WES FLETCHER may have scored a spectacular goal, but it couldn’t prevent York City from crashing out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.

Fletcher’s stunning effort gave the Minstermen an early lead but a second-half brace from Matt Tubbs, following Jack Smith’s equaliser, saw the Wombles book a second round trip to Wycombe.

York forged ahead in terrific fashion on five minutes with Fletcher’s fourth goal of the season. The ball sat up invitingly for the former Burnley striker 30 yards from goal and his dipping volley flew over James Shea.

The Wimbldeon goalkeeper then denied Michael Coulson with his legs and a deflected Marvin McCoy strike from distance went close to doubling the visitors’ lead on 19 minutes. But the Wombles almost drew level on the stroke of half-time when Dannie Bulman’s powerful 25-yard drive flashed narrowly wide.

Alan Bennett, George Francomb and Adam Barrett all had early second-half chances for Neal Ardley’s men. But Shea kept his team in the tie on 56 minutes, saving brilliantly to keep out Jake Hyde’s rising 12-yard shot.

Bennett then volleyed over from the edge of the box at the other end before Smith levelled on 71 minutes with a low 12-yard shot into Michael Ingham’s left-hand corner. Tubbs fired the Dons in front from a similar distance after racing on to an Adebayo Akinfenwa through ball.

Jake Hyde wasted excellent chances for the visitors before Tubbs wrapped up matters in stoppage time.

AFC Wimbledon: Shea; Fuller, Bennett, Barrett, Smith, Francomb (Azeez, 61), Bulman, Sutherland, Rigg (Moore, 61), Akinfenwa, Tubbs. Unused substitutes:McDonnell, Kennedy, Beere, Nicholson, Oakley.

York City: Ingham; McCoy, Lowe, Zubar, Ilesanmi; Meikle, Montrose (Platt, 78), Penn, Coulson; Hyde, Fletcher (Carson, 64). Unused substitutes: Mooney, McCombe, Summerfield, Jarvis, Hirst.

Referee: P Bankes (Merseyside).