Bristol Rovers 3 York City 3: Late strike from Fletcher enables York to clinch replay back home

BATTLING York City led twice but were forced to come from behind as this FA Cup classic went the distance.

Nigel Worthington

Both clubs entertained in a six-goal thriller and will now have to face each other again in a midweek replay to decide who will progress to the second round.

First-half goals from Ryan Jarvis and Josh Carson gave the visitors a 2-1 half-time lead, with Elliot Richards having equalised.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Substitute Matt Harrold levelled just before the hour mark and Preston loan striker Chris Beardsley put the home side ahead.

But a mistake from goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall cost the Pirates dear as substitute Wes Fletcher pounced four minutes from time to force a replay.

Jarvis put the visitors ahead when he poked home from close-range after 35 minutes.

But within two minutes Richards equalised for Rovers, pouncing from close-range.

However, it wasn’t long before Nigel Worthington’s team had regained their lead courtesy of a stunning strike from Carson, letting fly with a 30-yard thunderbolt into the top left corner.

In a first half they dominated, Jarvis had seen a shot charged down and Daniel Parslow rifled agonisingly wide.

As York went in search of a third goal after the break they were hit with a sucker-punch when substitute Harold struck having been on the pitch for less than a minute.

Harold then teed up Clarke, but his team-mate dragged a right-foot shot wide of the upright.

Bearnsley pounced to fire Rovers ahead for the first time, but Fletcher had the final say with his goal at the death.

Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall; Smith, Lockyer, Parkes, Brown; Santos, Clucas, Norburn (Harrold 58), Clarke, Richards; Beardsley (Brunt 84). Unused substitutes: Gough, Clarkson, Harrison, Keary, Southway.

York City: Ingham; Onyebanjo, Smith, Parslow, Fyfield; Carson, Platt, Whitehouse, Puri (Brobbel 54); Jarvis (Fletcher 74), Bowman (Cresswell 88). Unused substitutes: Kettings, Clay, Chambers, Allan.

Referee: T Kettle (Rutland).