Luton Town (1) 1-1 (2) York City - York reach Wembley

YORK CITY are through to the final of the FA Trophy following a 1-1 draw against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

Matty Blair’s 90th minute header gave York a 2-1 aggregate victory after the first leg at Bootham Crescent finished 1-0 in the Minstermen’s favour.

It was a dramatic finish to an evenly-matched second leg, with Luton having taken the lead two minutes before half time courtesy of a close range finish from Robbie Willmott.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But York’s never-say-die spirit won through in the end, with Blair nodding in from eight yards after Jamal Fyfield’s left-wing centre.

The goal followed a prolonged period of Luton pressure when it had seemed that York might well be thwarted at the last.

Moments earlier, Danny Crow’s goal bound shot was diverted for a corner, while Luton forced several good openings in the closing minutes.

But after a poor display in the first half, York looked a different team after the break.

Ashley Chambers, who replaced former Luton striker Jason Walker at half-time, gave the visitors a different dimension after the break, and Chambers himself might have netted on a couple of occasions.

Robbie Willmott’s 43rd-minute goal sent Luton into the break 1-0 in front after they dominated the opening 45 minutes.

Willmott slotted home right-footed from ten yards after Danny Crow’s centre across the penalty box.

The winger was in acres of space and gave goalkeeper Michael Ingham no chance.

Earlier, Luton wasted a string of chances due to a lack of composure in the final third.

Stuart Fleetwood, Alex Lawless and Crow all went close as York struggled to get into the match.

The visitors managed only one shot during the first period - Scott Brown, a 24th-minute substitute for the injured Scott Kerr, firing well over from 25 yards.

James Meredith recovered from a facial injury to take his place in York City’s starting line-up for this afternoon’s FA Trophy semi-final second leg against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

Meredith had been doubtful after injuring his nose in training during a clash of heads with Jamal Fyfield.

But the midfielder has been named in an unchanged XI from the one which beat Grimsby Town 3-2 in midweek to catapult York back into the Blue Square Bet Premier Division play-off positions.

Former City defender Janos Kovacs is in the Luton side after the Football Association overturned his ban for being sent off at Darlington in midweek.

York go into the match with a 1-0 aggregate lead courtesy of Jamie Reed’s penalty at Bootham Crescent seven days ago.

Luton Town: Tyler, Taylor, Keane, Pilkington, Lawless, Crow, Willmott, Fleetwood, Howells, Osano, Kovacs. Substitutes: Blackett, O’Connor, Henry, Watkins, Woolley.

York City: Ingham, Meredith, Smith, Parslow, Reed, Kerr, Walker, Fyfield, Blair, Challinor, McLaughlin. Substitutes: Musselwhite, Chambers, Brown, Blinkhorn, Doig.

For the full report and reaction read Sports Monday, free inside your Yorkshire Post.