York City 2 Kidderminster 3: Minstermen suffer rare defeat as Chambers’s miss proves costly

Have your say

A SECOND-half fightback failed to save York City as they went down to their first defeat in eight games, a missed penalty by Ashley Chambers proving crucial.

Matthew Blair scored his fifth goal in as many games for York, who were way below their best, Kidderminster playing some fine attacking football to establish a 3-1 lead in the first half.

York reverted to their usual 4-3-3 formation after adopting 3-5-2 in the FA Trophy win over Solihull Moors last week.

Kidderminster, who have won more away matches than they have at home, made a brisk start and a mistake by Jamal Fyfield presented Callum Gittings with an opportunity but he shot over the bar.

But Kidderminster were ahead in the fourth minute when an in-swinging free-kick from Mickey Demetriou saw Jack Byrne head home unchallenged.

York were back on level terms after 19 minutes when Chambers cut in from the right and crossed low for Blair to score. But parity lasted only two minutes as Gittings cracked a low shot in off Michael Ingham’s left-hand post.

York settled briefly and Danny Pilkington saw his fierce shot pushed away by Tony Breeden.

But York dropped further behind after 34 minutes when Fyfield’s mistake let in Jamille Matt and the striker beat off Fyfield’s challenge before crashing the ball just inside Ingham’s left-hand post.

York switched to 4-4-2 after the interval and got on top but squandered a chance of reducing the gap when Luke Jones handled only for Breeden to save Chambers’s poor spot kick.

York continued to press and David McGurk’s header from Paddy McLaughlin’s corner reduced the arrears on 67 minutes.

But despite further pressure York failed to get back on terms.

York City: Ingham, Challinor, McGurk, Fyfield, Meredith, Kerr, Boucaud (Moke 53), McLaughlin, Blair, Chambers (Parslow 84), Pilkington (Ashikodi 53). Unused substitutes: Oyebanjo, Smith,

Kidderminster Harriers: Breeden, Vaughan, Jones, Sharpe, Demetriou, Byrne, Storer, Hendrie (Marc Williams 57), Hankin, Matt (Guinan 88), Gittings (Wright 46). Unused substitutes: Mike Williams, Lyness.

Referee: A Harrington (Hartlepool).