A STONE and plaque commemorating the late Charles Hughes, former Woodsome Hall professional and Captain of the Professional Golfers Association, has been unveiled at the club.
The ceremony was performed by Charles’s wife, Mrs Margaret Hughes, and their two children, John and Sally.
The stone and plaque sit at the foot of an American oak tree grown from an acorn originating from Oak Hill GC, in Rochester, New York, a course synonymous with Europe’s Ryder Cup victory there in 1995. Charles planted the tree, on the back lawn adjacent to the 10th hole, in 2001.
He retired as a Captain from the army in 1946 and became an assistant professional at various clubs, including Torksey and Hallamshire, before joining Woodsome Hall as the head professional in 1958. He remained in the role until 1985 before becoming Captain of the PGA in 1986, preceding Peter Alliss.
Both Charles and Margaret were given honorary membership of the club before moving to Southport. Sadly, Charles passed away, aged 93, in 2013.
The Vice President of Woodsome Hall, Malcom Greenhalgh, commented: “The club is proud to have a memorial dedicated to Charles. It will provide a lasting legacy for a delightful gentleman and will kindle fond memories of his time at the club.”