Steelers’ run over but Stingrays able to rejoice

Sheffield Steelers' Tyler Mosienko tries to avoid a direct collision with a Cardiff defenceman. Picture: Dean Woolley.
Sheffield Steelers' Tyler Mosienko tries to avoid a direct collision with a Cardiff defenceman. Picture: Dean Woolley.
Have your say

SHEFFIELD STEELERS’ unbeaten Elite League run came to an end at the hands of coach Gerad Adams’s former club Cardiff Devils.

Having extended their winning streak in the league to five games with a 5-3 victory over the same opponents on Saturday night, the Steelers came unstuck in the reverse fixture 24 hours later, going down 5-2 in South Wales, where Adams coached for more than seven years before being jettisoned midway through last season.

The visitors found themselves 3-0 down early in the second period, powerplay strikes from Brent Walton and Mark Richardson sandwiching a ninth-minute goal from Jake Morissette.

The Steelers did get on the board at 44.12 through Tyler Mosienko, but the Devils’ three-goal lead was restored just over seven minutes later with Walton’s second of the night. Again the Steelers pulled the deficit back to two through Jason Hewitt just over a minute later.

But that was as close as they got, Morissette adding an empty netter with 12 seconds remaining.

It was a much more topsy-turvy affair the previous night in Sheffield, the home side taking a 2-0 first-period lead through Colton Fretter and Mike Forney, only for Joey Haddad and Joey Martin to level for Cardiff before the end of the second period.

The Devils went ahead through Clarkson at 48.44, but the Steelers rallied to score three goals in the last 10 minutes with Mathieu Roy (2) and Mosienko beating Ben Bowns to wrap up two points.

Hull Stingrays finally enjoyed their first home win of the season when goals from Cory Tanaka and the returning Zach Hervato ensured a 2-0 triumph over Edinburgh Capitals.

Omar Pacha’s team almost made it two wins in as many nights, but they had to settle for a point after Nottingham Panthers grabbed a 3-2 overtime win through Nathan Robinson.

Jordan Mayer had opened the scoring on the powerplay after only two minutes in the Challenge Cup Group B encounter before goals from Chris Lawrence (12.06) and Sam Oakford 51.51) put the visitors ahead. Mayer levelled at 53.12, but it was Nottingham who prevailedjust under three minutes into overtime.

“Before the weekend had you told me we would get three points I would have been satisfied,” said Pacha after the Nottingham defeat.

“The boys battled hard all weekend and it was unfortunate to lose it in overtime to Nottingham.

“But there are a lot of positives to take out of this weekend. It is a massive point and we still have a chance to finish third or even second in the group.”