Indisciplined Otley collapse and pay price for late yellow cards

Sheffield RUFC player Josh Bird
Sheffield RUFC player Josh Bird
Have your say

Harrogate lost out by two points in a tight contest at home to Luctonians with the visitors securing their National Two survival with a 26-24 win.

Louis Silver’s penalty gave the visitors a 3-0 lead and a Harrogate midfield fumble let Geraint Langdon seize on a loose ball to drive over and make it 8-0.

Lewis Minikin soon got Harrogate back into the game with a try and conversion but Luctonians went 13-7 up when Josh Watkins finished a neat counter-attacking move.

Luke Edwards’s converted try put Harrogate 14-13 ahead before Jordan Street swung it back in Luctonians’ favour at 18-17.

The visitors took the win through John Kelly’s try and Willem Enslin’s effort for Harrogate proved to be only a consolation.

Otley were beaten 28-26 at Sedgley Park after having led 26-8 with 10 minutes remaining. Sedgley were helped by two yellow cards being conceded during that period.

Right wing James Wood, No 8 Jack Scott-Paul, flanker Matt Heaton and full-back Henry Roberts scored Otley’s tries, and Stephen Depledge kicked three of the conversions.

Sedgley had only scored one try in the preceding 70 minutes, but ran in three late ones to grab victory.

Sheffield moved up two places to third in National Three North when they scored a 46-17 win over bottom club Burnage at Abbeydale Park.

Inside centre Owen Smith scored a brace of tries and Sheffield were 27-5 up at the break.

Josh Bird opened the scoring in the third minute and the floodgates opened with Smith’s brace added to by Alex Fawdry and Toby Ademankin.

Burnage scored three tries but Andy Hodgson, Dave Clayden and captain Dominic Parsons put the game out of their reach.

Hull saw off Ilkley’s challenge with an 18-14 win at Stacks Field.

A penalty try and another from prop Dan Lawrence helped Ilkley take a 14-13 half-time lead, with centre Alex Heard scoring for Hull and Tomasi Tonumu kicking the conversion and two penalties.

The East Yorkshire side edged the win with flanker Danny Hague touching down on the hour mark.

A dramatic last-minute interception saw Cleckheaton take a fine victory at home to Lymm, winning 25-18.

The game looked to be heading for a draw with both sides scoring two tries each but, in the dying moments, Ronan Evans made the crucial interception to touch down.

Huddersfield YMCA gave their survival chances a huge shot in the arm with a 29-22 victory on the road at Birkenhead Park.

In North One East, Morley clawed back some of their deficit over runaway leaders Doncaster Phoenix when they ran in six tries on their way to a 38-10 win at Beverley.

Bradford & Bingley, also still with a match in hand, regained the Yorkshire One lead from Malton & Norton when they trounced mid-table Heath 64-0 in their rearranged match at Halifax.

The Bees ran in 10 tries, with winger Nick Gore touching down for the first of his two after two minutes.

The visitors led 33-0 by half-time, with centre Lachlan Moore also scoring twice and other tries coming from flanker Tom Booth, scrum-half Shaun Driver, centre Taylor Fiddes, winger Adam Mitchell, full-back Ben Greaves and No 8 Ali MacDonald. Driver also kicked five of the conversions.

Two tries from stand-off Jack Hammond and one from brother Billy at flanker helped Old Crossleyans to a 22-16 win over Bradford Salem.

Unbeaten Yorkshire Two leaders West Leeds took time out from their league campaign to score a one-sided 63-3 win at Littleborough, from Lancashire (North), in the northern final of the RFU Senior Vase.

Wetherby also carried their unbeatable league form into national knock-out success when they won 25-8 in the northern final of the RFU Junior Vase at Wallasey.