Champion Judd Trump tells Ronnie O’Sullivan to follow Anthony Hamilton out the Crucible door

Defending champion Judd Trump has told title rival Ronnie O’Sullivan he should join qualifier Anthony Hamilton in withdrawing from this year’s World Snooker Championship if he harbours genuine coronavirus concerns.

Judd Trump during his match against Shaun Murphy during day three of the 2020 Dafabet Masters at Alexandra Palace, London. PA Photo. Picture date: Tuesday January 14, 2020. See PA story SNOOKER London. Photo credit should read: John Walton/PA Wire

Defending champion Judd Trump has told title rival Ronnie O’Sullivan he should join qualifier Anthony Hamilton in withdrawing from this year’s World Snooker Championship if he harbours genuine coronavirus concerns.

Hamilton, a chronic asthmatic, pulled out yesterday citing health fears, following O’Sullivan’s claim that the sport’s top stars are being treated like “lab rats” over the decision to allow a limited of number of spectators into the tournament.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Trump, who will begin his quest to become the first first-time winner to retain the title against Tom Ford this morning, branded the dissenting duo “selfish” for not pulling out earlier.

File photo dated 03-12-2019 of Ronnie O'Sullivan. PA Photo. Issue date: Thursday December 19, 2019. onnie O'Sullivan became a professional snooker player in 1992 and won his first ranking tournament a year later. 'The Rocket' turned 44 earlier this month and it remains to be seen how long O'Sullivan will be around for. See PA story SPORT Decade Next. Photo credit should read Nigel French/PA Wire.

Trump said: “I have been around the game long enough to know that if there is a World Championship coming up he (O’Sullivan) is going to try and get the headlines.

“Of all people, Ronnie is probably the only one who doesn’t need the money, so I find it quite hard that he can enter it and have a go at what is going on. Just pull out and let someone else have a go.”

O’Sullivan had expressed sympathy for Hamilton, but the lateness of his decision angered Trump, who said: “I find it very hard on the other people that he has taken the opportunity from – I think this was announced with enough time to know there was going to be a crowd at this tournament.

“A lot of low-ranked players struggle to put food on the table and especially with things going on, you’ve got to try to earn a living. People need to think of the bigger picture sometimes and try not to be selfish and give others the opportunity to provide as well.”

Photo Ian Robinson Snooker returns at the Guild Hall in Preston Wyldecrest Park Home Players Championship Grand Final Anthony Hamilton v Sam Baird Anthony Hamilton

Eighth seed Kyren Wilson, who had been due to face Hamilton today, has been given a bye into the second round. But the Nottingham player will still be allowed to keep his £20,000 prize money and ranking points.

World Snooker Tour chairman Barry Hearn said: “You’ve got to love Ronnie O’Sullivan’s comments. They come up every time he wants a bit of publicity, looks for a nice little angle -’lab rats’ is just a phrase to guarantee a headline.”

Hamilton had first expressed misgivings about the decision to make the Crucible a pilot event for the reintroduction of fans in the wake of his win over Donaldson on Monday night.

He had called the move - which makes it the first and so far only indoor event to allow fans since the lockdown - “ridiculous” and admitted he had serious concerns about playing in the qualifiers.

In the WST statement, Hamilton said: “It has been a really difficult decision for me. I was extremely impressed by the way that WST and their partners ran the qualifying rounds, they made the players feel totally safe.

“However, due to my health condition, after careful consideration I have decided not to play in the final stages.”

The controversy cast a shadow over the start of the tournament, for which Trump starts as a strong favourite to shatter the so-called ‘Crucible Curse’ after winning a record-breaking six titles in the current, abridged season alone.

Trump, who credited World Snooker Tour officials with doing an “amazing” job to put on the tournament, insisted he was ready to change that record after belatedly making his world title breakthrough in thrilling fashion last year.

“I think it’s different this year because we didn’t think the event was going to be on, so it’s a double bonus really,” said Trump.

“There’s no pressure any more. I always wanted to win the worlds and I finally did it. To win it for a second time would be amazing, but I won’t be bothered if I don’t. I’ve won enough tournaments to be satisfied with my season.”

Former champion Stuart Bingham also starts his campaign on Friday morning against qualifier Ashley Carty, while Ding Junhui and Mark King will now have the arena to themselves in the Friday afternoon session.

Trump and Ford, the world number 26, return to conclude their first-round match on Friday evening, when veterans Mark Williams and Alan McManus will also begin their best-of-19 encounter.

Editor’s note: first and foremost - and rarely have I written down these words with more sincerity - I hope this finds you well.

Almost certainly you are here because you value the quality and the integrity of the journalism produced by The Yorkshire Post’s journalists - almost all of which live alongside you in Yorkshire, spending the wages they earn with Yorkshire businesses - who last year took this title to the industry watchdog’s Most Trusted Newspaper in Britain accolade.

And that is why I must make an urgent request of you: as advertising revenue declines, your support becomes evermore crucial to the maintenance of the journalistic standards expected of The Yorkshire Post. If you can, safely, please buy a paper or take up a subscription. We want to continue to make you proud of Yorkshire’s National Newspaper but we are going to need your help.

Postal subscription copies can be ordered by calling 0330 4030066 or by emailing [email protected] Vouchers, to be exchanged at retail sales outlets - our newsagents need you, too - can be subscribed to by contacting subscriptions on 0330 1235950 or by visiting www.localsubsplus.co.uk where you should select The Yorkshire Post from the list of titles available.

If you want to help right now, download our tablet app from the App / Play Stores. Every contribution you make helps to provide this county with the best regional journalism in the country.

Sincerely. Thank you.

James Mitchinson

Editor