Round-Up: Brocklehurst proves the last-gasp hero


Old Brodleians 27

Cleckheaton 24

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Luke Brocklehurst's first try for Old Brodleians clinched a last-ditch victory after Cleckheaton looked as though they had come back from the dead.

Brodleians started brightly and after missing a couple of penalty attempts, went ahead when Louie Butler stole in behind the defence from a quick tap penalty.

Winger Ross Hughes levelled quickly but two tries from centre Johnny Hotham and a conversion from Ollie Ackroyd gave the home side a 17-5 lead at the break.

Butler grabbed a second try early in the second half but instead of pushing on, Brodleians gave away the advantage with a double sin-binning that allowed Cleckheaton to hit back with a penalty try and close range effort from Ross Hayden to reduce the lead to 22-17.

No sooner were Brodleians back to full strength, than they picked up two more yellow cards and faced the final 10 minutes with 13 men.

Hayden scored his second try to put Cleckheaton 24-22 in front but deep in stoppage time Brodleians kept the ball alive for three minutes and a final pass found Brocklehurst who stormed over.

Old Crossleyans 25

Wheatley Hills 27

Crossleyans know they should have won a tight, entertaining match against the third-placed club but too many mistakes allowed Hills to grab victory in the final minutes.

Chris Jones kicked the home side in front with a penalty but Hills replied with a well-worked try from Jamie Webb converted by Guy Townsley.

Crossleyans still had the edge and deserved to go back in front with a second penalty from Jones and try from Joe Baker but once again they let it slip, Mike Hayward touching down and Townsley slotting home the conversion and a penalty either side of the break to put his side 17-11 in front.

Centre Neil Richardson crossed to reduce the gap to a point and with the visitors conceding too many penalties, Crossleyans took a 25-20 lead thanks to three penalties by Jones to one by Townsley.

Hills stormed back and took advantage of some home lapses, second-row Andrew Penno going over and Townsley again on the mark with the conversion.

Crossleyans had one last chance with a penalty near the corner. They elected to scrum and lost possession and the game.

Pontefract 0

Northumbria 38

THE game was abandoned after 67 minutes due to an injury that saw a Northumbria player taken to hospital.

Pontefract's unbeaten home record was blown away by a disciplined and lively Team Northumbria.

The visitors dictated the flow and pace through their pack which had a solid grip on the game at both scrums and lineouts.

Pontefract can boast some speed in their back-line but, on occasions, Northumbria simply sliced through them as they ran in four tries in the first half, three of which were converted, to lead 26-0.

Two further tries and a conversion in the second half rounded things off.

Hartlepool Rovers 34

Driffield 22

DRIFFIELD established a 17-0 lead midway through the first half but Rovers came back to score their first win of the campaign by five tries to four.

It left the Woldsmen with only a four-try bonus point.

Driffield went ahead with tries by outside centre Tom Wright and stand-off Karl Birch, whose brother Lee Birch converted.

When Wright ran in his second, Driffield looked in control but Rovers fought back with two converted tries to turn round only three points adrift.

A third converted try early in the second half saw Hartlepool edge into a 21-17 lead, but Driffield regained the upper hand when Lee Birch touched down to secure the bonus point.

Driffield retained the lead until midway through the second period, but they lost Karl Birch with a leg injury and when Olly Cooper and Jimmy Stevenson were sin-binned Rovers struck with two unconverted tries and a penalty.