Barrow Raiders 4 Doncaster 14: Barrow unbeaten run is ended by Doncaster

DONCASTER mastered the Craven Park conditions to inflict a first competitive home defeat on Barrow Raiders in more than a year-and-a-half.

On a day when wind, rain and a pitch which turned into a mudbath made expansive rugby impossible, Tony Miller’s men triumphed in a battle of wills to record their first victory of the Championship season.

After being camped in the home side’s half for the entirety of the opening 10 minutes, the Dons went behind in this replay of last year’s Championship One Grand Final as Mike Whitehead made good ground and former Leeds Rhinos junior Sean Casey sent in Dan Toal.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The remainder of the opening stanza saw both teams grinding away up the middle of the park, with the flanks rarely used and neither team daring to show anything in the way of flair.

It was early in the second half when Doncaster went ahead, with Castleford loan man James Clare charging down a Liam Campbell kick on halfway and hacking all the way to the line for a try to the visitors.

After Toal was denied a second for Barrow as referee Gareth Hewer ruled him offside from a Casey kick, the Dons sealed the points with two tries in five minutes.

The first came as Bobbie Goulding Junior forced his way over after the visitors carved a hole in the defence.

Another four-pointer followed as a grubber near their own line was picked up and Lee Waterman – who collected 36 tries last season – opened his account as he broke away down the wing.

Barrow had no response and it was Doncaster who followed their Grand Final win with a further triumph over the Cumbrians.

Barrow Raiders: McGilvray, Clay, Wiper, Low, Larkin, Casey, Campbell, Brennan, Mossop, Whitehead, Harrison, Haggerty, Toal. Substitutes: Finch, Dawson, Jones, Haggarty.

Doncaster: Waterman, Tuffour, Cowling, Clare, Kay, Cooke, Fawcett, Castle, Kesik, Waller, Kelly, Spurr, Goulding Jnr. Substitutes: Emmett, Edwards, Carbutt, Robinson.

Referee: G Hewer (Whitehaven).