Rugby League latest: Wins for Hull FC, Leeds Rhinos and Hull KR, Castleford and Wakefield beaten

Rob Burrow and Ryan Hal celebrate a try for Leeds against Crusaders
Rob Burrow and Ryan Hal celebrate a try for Leeds against Crusaders
Have your say

Easter Monday sees the closing of a busy weekend of Super League action with some important points up for grabs.

Full-time scores and reports. Full reports and reaction in Tuesday’s Yorkshire Post.

St Helens 22 Castleford 20

A last-gasp Francis Meli try and nerveless conversion from Jamie Foster earned St Helens a dramatic Super League victory over Castleford this afternoon.

The Tigers led by eight points against a patched-up Saints side that finished with two forwards at half-back - but late scores from Ade Gardner and then Meli gave the hosts the spoils.

Both teams were looking to bounce back from narrow, late defeats by derby rivals on Good Friday and salvage something from the Easter double header, but at times there was an ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ air about proceedings.

Warrington 10 Hull 24

Hull recovered from 10-0 down for a win that knocked Warrington off the top of the Engage Super League this afternoon.

Kirk Yeaman scored twice after Danny Houghton began the fightback at the Halliwell Jones Stadium and Will Sharp also scored.

Warrington, having moved to the summit on Good Friday, had looked like consolidating their lead after early tries from Joel Monaghan and Rhys Williams.

Yet Hull, despite injuries restricting coach Richard Agar’s selection, were the dominant side thereafter and fully deserved a victory which maintained their recent revival.

Hull KR 37 Harlequins 24

Hull KR bounced back from their derby defeat on Good Friday with a victory to prolong Harlequins current slump in form.

Quins have now failed to win in seven as they dropped further down the table while Rovers welcomed the two points to begin what they hope will be a steady climb towards the top half.

A high-scoring affair loomed as the Engage Super League’s bottom two, on the recent form chart, looked to play their way out of their poor form.

Between them they could boast just one win in 12 games combined and it was Justin Morgan’s side who started better as they turned their early possession and territory into 12 points.

Leeds 34 Crusaders 16

Danny McGuire’s first appearance in seven months was the catalyst Leeds needed as they claimed maximum points from their Easter programme after overcoming Crusaders.

The stand-off has been on the sidelines since the end of last season with a knee injury but his introduction in the 24th minute sparked the Rhinos into life following a dour opening.

Brett Delaney broke the deadlock three minutes later, whilst further tries from Carl Ablett and Keith Senior - all converted by Kevin Sinfield - gave the hosts a comfortable half-time lead.

Rob Burrow all but ensured Leeds claimed their second victory in five days following a 30-22 triumph at Bradford on Thursday.

To their credit, Crusaders, who stunned Huddersfield 32-6 on Good Friday, refused to be dispirited and three tries from Jordan Tansey, Michael Witt and Rhys Hanbury put the Rhinos under pressure.

But Senior’s second of the afternoon and a further score from Kylie Leuluai ended any hopes the Welsh side had of a famous comeback.

Wakefield 0 Wigan 26

Super League champions Wigan produced a lethargic display in the warm sunshine but still managed to outclass lowly Wakefield as they cruised to a fifth successive win at Belle Vue.

Both sides looked flat after enjoying memorable Good Friday derby successes but at least Wigan had the livewire Sam Tomkins to light up the otherwise dull proceedings.

Wakefield repeatedly made the mistake of kicking to the will-of-the-wisp England full-back, who needed no invitation to attack the Wildcats’ line and was a constant thorn in their side.

Catalan Dragons 8 Bradford Bulls 8

Catalan Dragons managed to maintain their unbeaten April in an Engage Super League draw with Bradford Bulls that saw more errors than points.

The error count will have had both coaches tearing their hair out as a downpour just as the game kicked off put paid to any chances of seeing an expansive encounter.

Both sides tried to play dry weather rugby in poor conditions that resulted in a less than 60 % completion rate.

There were chances for both teams to snatch victory in the final moments of the game, but Patrick Ah Van pushed an easy penalty from 30 metres to the side of the posts and Paul Sykes failed with a drop goal attempt for the visitors.