Castleford 40 Wakefield 20: Tigers triumph at Magic Weekend

Have your say

RANGI CHASE provided the class as Castleford Tigers defeated Wakefield Trinity Wildcats in an incident-packed contest at Cardiff this evening, writes Dave Craven.

The New Zealand Maori stand-off produced one stellar pass to gift Nick Youngquest a debut try, had a hand in two others and scored an interception effort of his own as his side proved too strong for their derby neighbours.

Wakefield, who entered administration yesterday but emerged under new owners who should secure their future, showed plenty of spirit and endeavour but ultimately made too many mistakes to stay in the contest.

Centre Joe Arundel scored inside five minutes for Castleford but - after team-mate Steve Snitch was put on report for a ‘chicken wing’ tackle - Julien Rinaldi leveled on 19 after sneaking over from dummy half.

Arundel was sin-binned for persistent offending in the 24th minute, Castleford having conceded six penalties but ironically they scored twice while the youngster was off.

Trinity second-row Dale Ferguson got the first of his brace moments later, Josh Vievers converting, but Brett Ferres and Youngquest responded in quick succession after Wildcats were penalised twice for spear tackles.

Fortunately for John Kear’s side, Kirk Dixon could not improve any although he did when Dean Widders charged over in the 39th minute to make it 18-10, Wakefield reduced to 12 men themselves when Sam Obst was yellow-carded for persistent offending.

Any hopes Wakefield had of clawing their way back were extinguished just 52 seconds in to the second period when Chase intercepted Tommy Lee’s wayward pass from 30 metres out.

Dixon kicked the goal and did likewise when impressive England Academy captain Adam Milner squeezed over from dummy-half.

Rinaldi fed Ferguson for his second and Luke George sped 80 metres down the touchline for a try, Vievers improving the latter to make it 28-10.

But Daryl Millard became the second Trinity player yellow-carded for interference and Paul Jackson crashed over from short range, Dixon adding the extras.

Widders then got his second, after great work by Craig Huby and again improved by Dixon, to seal Castleford’s win, referee James Child having awarded an astonishing 37 penalties in total, 22 to the victors.

TIGERS: Mathers; Dixon, Ferres, Arundel, Youngquest; Chase, Orr; Huby, Hudson, Emmitt, Jones, Holmes, Snitch. Replacements: Milner, Widders, Jackson, Walker.

WILDCATS: Blaymire; Vievers, Murphy, Dean, George; Hyde, Obst; Korkidas, Rinaldi, Johnson, Ferguson, Morrison, Lee. Replacements: Millard, King, Spiers, Henderson.

Referee: James Child (Batley)

For a Magic Weekend special, including reports on all the games, read Dave Craven in Monday’s Yorkshire Post newspaper.