Super League Sunday: Castleford extend winning run as Giants strengthen grip inside top four

Huddersfield Giants' Jermaine McGillvary scores his side's fifth try against Hull KR. Picture: John Rushworth.
Huddersfield Giants' Jermaine McGillvary scores his side's fifth try against Hull KR. Picture: John Rushworth.
Have your say

CASTLEFORD TIGERS extended their winning run to five matches with a hard-fought 34-20 victory over Widnes Vikings in bizarre conditions at the Jungle.

The first half was played in warm sunshine, but a thunderstorm and torrential rain made it difficult for players and spectators after the break.

Winger Denny Solomona scored a hat-trick for Tigers, who gave a debut to recent signing from Catalans Dragons, Gadwin Springer.

Cas led 18-0 inside the opening half an hour thanks to a brace of tries by Solomona - both off passes by Luke Dorn, on his return from a long-term hamstring injury - and Jake Webster.

Webster was then sin-binned for protesting about Widnes’ first try, scored by Jack Owens and Chris Clarkson forced his way over soon afterwards.

But Matt Cook crossed just before the break to give Tigers a 24-10 interval lead and Justin Carney added Tigers’ fifth try at the start of the second period, from Luke Gale’s kick.

Castleford were in command at 30-10, but Tom Gilmore touched down to revive Widnes’ hopes and Macgraff Leuluai’s try with 10 minutes left cut the gap to 10 points.

Tigers finally made the points safe four minutes from time when Solomona - who has now scored tries in five successive games - completed his hat-trick, from a flick pass by Webster.

Luke Gale landed five conversions for Tigers. Owens kicked two for the visitors.

Scrum-half Danny Brough scored his 100th career try as Huddersfield Giants strengthened their grip on a Super League top-four spot with a third straight win.

Brough also created two tries and kicked two vital 40-20s to help end Hull KR’s own run of victories.

The Giants ran in six tries in total, with Brough, Michael Lawrence, Aaron Murphy, Leroy Cudjoe, Jermaine McGillvary and Ukuma Ta’ai all crossing the whitewash in a 32-14 victory at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Hull FC secured a precious 31-24 victory to leapfrog neighbours Hull KR into the top eight of the First Utility Super League but they were pushed all the way by an impressive Wakefield Trinity side who belied their lowly position with a superb performance.

But for a magnificent display from skipper Gareth Ellis, Hull might have been handed a second defeat in five days by Super League’s bottom club.

Wakefield coach Brian Smith opted to bring in nine fresh faces despite their 26-16 win over the Black and Whites in midweek and will now be facing a selection dilemma for next Sunday’s clash with younger brother Tony’s Warrington after most of them caught the eye.

Full-back Max Jowitt, who is just 18, impressed on his second senior appearance while second rower Matty Ashurst, who had been out for three months with a torn groin, made his mark in the second minute, dummying his way over for his third try in as many appearances for the club.