Featherstone 52 Dewsbury 18: Work to be done at Featherstone, admits Rovers’ manager Long

TITLE-chasers Featherstone made it two wins from two games under new team manager Sean Long.

Sean Long

Rovers, aiming to lift the League Leaders Shield for a fourth successive season, ran in nine tries to stay three points behind leaders Sheffield with four games remaining.

Will Sharp and Greg Worthington each grabbed three tries and captain Liam Finn scored a try and kicked eight goals as Featherstone completed a double over Dewsbury, who faded after taking an early 12-4 lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Former Great Britain half-back Long said: “I was pleased with the result but I think there is plenty of work still to be done.”

Sharp’s fourth-minute try put Featherstone ahead after clever play by Andy Ellis, Finn and Vince Mellars.

Dewsbury hit back to snatch the lead when Jonathan Schofield created tries for Ryan Hepworth and Dale Morton.

Rovers cut the deficit to two points with Worthington’s first score and they regained the lead six minutes later when Finn, Kain, Jonny Hepworth and Mellars set up Sharp’s second try.

Rovers then took control with two tries shortly before half-time.

Kain’s inside pass put in Hepworth and Worthington bagged his second, with Finn’s fourth goal putting Featherstone 28-12 ahead at the break.

Dewsbury narrowed the gap to 10 points early in the second-half when Tommy Gallagher sent in Aaron Brown for a try that Hyde converted but they finished a well beaten side.

On-loan prop Sam Barlow capitalised on Finn’s kick to score on his home debut and Sharp and Worthington both completed their hat-tricks before Finn’s last minute touchdown rounded off the rout.

Dewsbury coach Glenn Morrison said: “For the first 15 to 20 minutes I thought we were really good but then I put on my bench players and they were not good enough.

“They sat back and they got marched and a good side like Featherstone are going to take advantage.

“We started the second-half well but then came up with too many errors and I don’t think we completed a set after the first 15 minutes.”

Featherstone Rovers: Hepworth; Sharp, Mellars, Worthington, Saxton; Kain, Finn; Crossley, Ellis, James, Lockwood, Spears, Dale. Substitutes: Barlow, Bussey, Green, Bostock.

Dewsbury Rams: Morton; Craven, Scott, Pryce, Buchanan; Hyde, Schofield; Nash, Bentley, Aizue, Hepworth, Hale, Brown. Substitutes: Tebb, Tonks, Gallagher, Lillycrop.

Referee: G Hewer (Whitehaven).