Featherstone Rovers 18 Leigh Centurions 30: Rovers give in-form Centurions a fright before suffering third straight loss

Featherstone ROVERS put up a tremendous fight before going down 30-18 to visitors Leigh Centurions at Big Fellas Stadium.

Featherstone's Andy Ellis on the attack against Leigh Centurions. Picture: Dave Williams.
Featherstone's Andy Ellis on the attack against Leigh Centurions. Picture: Dave Williams.

It was Leigh’s third straight win in the Qualifiers and a third successive defeat for Rovers, but the Championship league leaders were given a huge fright.

Rovers pushed them all the way and eight points in the final four minutes flattered Leigh, who look to be heading for Super League next year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Leigh raced into a 12-0 lead after just seven minutes, through tries from ex-Rovers forward Reni Maitua and centre Mitch Brown, both converted by Martyn Ridyard.

On-loan Luke Briscoe scored one of Featherstone's tries.

At that stage the visitors looked set for a cricket score, but Rovers dug in and were just four points adrift by the break.

Kyle Briggs landed a 40-20 kick and then provided a superb pass to send on-loan Leeds Rhinos forward Luke Briscoe over on 13 minutes.

Briggs added the extras and Anthony Thackeray had a touchdown ruled out for offside before Briggs booted a penalty nine minutes before the break to make it 12-8.

Rovers muscled up superbly in defence and winger Adam Higson was twice kept out when he looked certain to score.

On-loan Luke Briscoe scored one of Featherstone's tries.

Leigh finally extended their lead 10 minutes into the second half when Matty Dawson crossed wide out, from a long pass by Ridyard. Cory Paterson had got over moments earlier, but Ridyard’s pass was ruled forward.

Impressive substitute Bradley Tagg twice went close to scoring from kicks by Briggs, but Leigh made the game safe a minute into the final quarter when Micky Higham punished an error by James Duckworth and Ridyard’s conversion made it 22-8.

The relief among Leigh’s staff and directors reflected the effort Rovers had put in, but they weren’t finished.

Some penalties started to go their way and they took advantage when Luke Briscoe crossed at the corner from Jordan Baldwinson’s pass.

That looked like a consolation, but in the next set Jack Ormondroyd charged over and Briggs’ conversion cut the gap to four points with 10 minutes left.

Ridyard steadied Leigh’s nerves with a penalty four minutes from time and there was a cruel sting in the tail for Rovers when Gareth Hock crashed over in the final minute and Ridyard added the extras.

That came after Josh Drinkwater’s attempted drop goal fell short, but was spilled by full-back Danny Craven, who’d had an excellent game.