First-half troubles soon forgotten by Halifax

Halifax produced a vastly-improved second-half display to consign Barrow’s brave first-half efforts to memory.

Karl Harrison’s side were given a hard time in the first period as Barrow belied their lowly position and came out with all guns blazing.

However, the home side were a different animal after the break as they ran in tries almost at will.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Although Barrow were able to add to their tally late on, Fax’s advantage was never threatened.

Barrow didn’t take long to hit the front, Liam Finch going over the line with Kurt Haggerty adding the conversion.

The home side’s growing threat bore fruit when a kick into the corner eluded a Barrow player and the ball fell into Rikki Sheriffe’s hands and he had the simple job of planting it down, although Steve Tyrer missed the converstionconversion.

A mistake by Dean McGilvray eventually saw Halifax’s Luke Adamson crash over close to the posts leaving Tyrer with a more straightforward conversion

But Liam Harrison galloped in under the posts for the visitors, with Haggerty kicking the extras for a 12-10 lead.

Halifax roared back again when Paul Handforth fed Ben Heaton who had an easy run in, Tyrer adding the conversion.

Barrow hit straight back, Haggerty babozzling the home defence for a try which he improved for an 18-16 half-time lead.

Tyrer’s conversion of a Lee Paterson try early in the second restored Halifax’s lead before Scott Murrell blazed over.

Tyrer converted his own try to make it 32-18, before Anthony Thackeray, Paterson and Ryan Fieldhouse all went over.

Tony Tonks scored Halifax’s last try of the game, converted by Handforth. That was sandwiched in betweeen tries for the visitors from Liam Harrison and Liam Campbell – both converted by Haggerty.

Halifax: Fieldhouse, Sheriffe, Tyrer, Paterson, Reittie, Murrell, Thackeray, Tonks, Handforth, Bracek, Manning, Divorty, Adamson. Substitutes: Ashall, Ambler, Heaton, Casey.

Barrow Raiders: Campbell, Clay, Low, Wiper, McGilvray, Finch, Casey, Butler, Danby, Brennan, Harrison, K Haggerty, Toal. Substitutes: Mossop, Dawson, M Haggarty, Jones.

Referee: T Crashley (RFL).