Halifax 22 London Broncos 41: Shield now the only concern for Halifax after latest setback

Halifax went into this game knowing only a victory against London and an unlikely win for Swinton against Batley, would salvage their top four hopes.

Halifax's Ben Johnston scored an early try, but it was downhill after that. Picture: Anna Gowthorpe

In the end, neither happened, leaving Richard Marshall’s side to concentrate on the Championship Shield.

They hosts took the lead when full-back Ben Johnston backed up a midfield break from Scott Murrell and Jacob Fairbank to touch down under the posts.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Half-back Gareth Moore kicked the conversion, but in a game that lacked any real intensity the Broncos were level when former Sheffield prop Eddie Battye touched down.

Jamie Soward landed the conversion and was on target again 10 minutes later when Battye scored a virtual carbon copy of his first try to move the visitors 12-6 ahead.

The hosts created a series of half chances, but were hit by a sucker punch just before the break when Soward slipped second rower Matt Garside over.

London led 16-6 at the interval, an advantage they extended early in the second when Soward dived over and kicked the conversion.

Halifax replied with a Will Sharp try and then quickly levelled matters with two tries from makeshift centre Ed Barber, converted by Moore.

London regained the lead through Mark Loane touchdown, Api Pewhairangi adding the goal to put them 28-22 ahead.

After having a try ruled out, the hosts were hit by a Soward drop goal before late tries from Nick Slyney and Sadiq Adebiyi.

Halifax: Johnston; Sharp, Heaton, Eccleston, Saltonstall; G. Moore, Murrell; Cahalane, Robinson, Ambler, Barber, Tangata, Fairbank. Substitutes: Kaye, R. Moore, Bennion, Boyle

London: Walker; Williams, Kear, Eliab, Macani; Pewhairangi, Soward; Loane, Ackers, Bustin, Harrison, Garside, Slyney. Substitutes: Cunningham, Battye, Magrin, Adebiyi.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.