Huddersfield 30 Warrington 19: Anderson backs players as Warrington put to sword

14 June 2015.......    Huddersfield Giants' Jake Connor pounces onto a mistake by Wolves' Joel Monaghan to score a try.
14 June 2015....... Huddersfield Giants' Jake Connor pounces onto a mistake by Wolves' Joel Monaghan to score a try.
Have your say

Huddersfield coach Paul Anderson defended his players after a stormy encounter against Warrington saying: “It’s about time we stood up for ourselves.”

Danny Brough, in his 400th career appearance, and Jake Connor for Huddersfield and Anthony England and Daryl Clark for Warrington were all shown yellow cards after mass brawls.

But Anderson was unhappy with Brough’s yellow card, saying: “Why he got sin-binned I don’t know.

“I think all he did was kick some cones over.

“Maybe it’s because he has a history with referees and when they see him up there they think ‘right, you’re off’. If that’s the case then it’s poor.”

Anderson added he inspired Huddersfield’s first Super League double over Warrington with a half-time rocket.

“It’s a historic day for the club,” he said. “But at half-time I had to get into the players because their movements were not good enough.”

But Wolves coach Tony Smith condemned the ugly scenes in his side’s controversial 30-19 defeat.

Former Giants coach Smith said: “There didn’t seem to be a very good spirit between the players. Things boiled over on the pitch. There was a bad vibe about the place and I had some abuse from the stands. That’s not what the game is about.

“There were some scenes out there that didn’t look good and both teams lost their composure. It’s not what we want to see.”

He added of the game: “I was proud of our defence. We didn’t concede a soft try. We’ve got nine players out and things aren’t easy.”

On the field, former Castleford hooker Clark had opened the scoring on five minutes, with Huddersfield’s Jake Connor replying after a mix-up between Wolves’ Richie Myler and Joel Monaghan.

Brough converted to continue his record of scoring in every match since February 13 – a run now stretching to 18 games.

O’Brien’s converted try and drop goal made it 13-6 at the end of a tepid opening half, which provided no indication of the fireworks to come after the break.

Broughton dived over on 45 minutes and, as the Giants celebrated cutting the deficit to three points, Eorl Crabtree and Chris Bridge squared up.

It led to a mass brawl involving all 26 players that saw referee Phil Bentham dish out yellow cards to Brough and Warrington prop Anthony England.

Substitute England was so incensed he refused to leave and had to be pulled away by a team water-carrier.

He and Brough – the worst offenders in the fighting – also squared up on the touchline after their dismissals.

Giants scrum-half Jamie Ellis held his nerve after a delay to land the conversion in goal-kicker Brough’s absence and make the score 13-12.

But home joy was short-lived when a defensive blunder allowed Warrington to take back control of the game.

A Giants player coughed up the ball in a crowd of players on his own try-line on 48 minutes and Harrison pounced for a close-range converted score.

McGillvary set up a grandstand finish with a converted try on 60 minutes – with again only O’Brien’s drop goal the difference between the sides.

Academy product Jared Simpson, who scored on his debut last week against Wigan, then stepped up to the mark.

When McGillvary’s break from deep was held up, the Giants swung play to the other flank in a flowing move finished off by the 19-year-old.

Brough converted and then Ellis landed two drop goals in as many minutes to make it 26-19.

In between there were further flare-ups between the players, which ended in another mass brawl after McGillvary scored his second try of the match on 76 minutes.

Huddersfield: Simpson, McGillvary, Hughes, Connor, Broughton, Brough, Ellis, Mullally, Robinson, Huby, Wardle, Lawrence, Fairbank. Substitutes: Crabtree, Kopczak, Ta’ai, Leeming.

Warrington: Ratchford, Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Ormsby, O’Brien, Myler, Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Laithwaite, Harrison. Substitutes: England, Asotasi, Dwyer, G. King.

Referee: P Bentham (RFL)