Huddersfield Giants 22 Warrington Wolves 32: Giants lose feisty Super League clash

Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD Giants missed a glorious chance to go top of Super League in a feisty match at the Galpharn Stadium this evening, writes Dave Craven.

Nathan Brown’s side led competition favourites Warrington 16-14 until the 54th minute with their depleted opponents having already lost two forwards – Simon Grix and Ben Harrison – to injury inside the opening quarter.

However, Huddersfield, who had opened the season with two impressive wins, could not go on and complete the job and it was Warrington, inspired by Richard Myler and Lee Briers, who somehow found the extra gear to push on to victory.

Referee Phil Bentham put three players on report as the niggly game often threatened to boil over.

Huddersfield replacement Tommy Lee could feel lucky not to have been given a straight red card for a crude high tackle on Briers just before the hooter while Wolves centre Chris Bridge may have a case to answer on Monday morning after a dangerous lift on Jacob Fairbank.

Giants captain Kevin Brown was also put on report for allegedly leading into Bridge with a forearm soon after.

Warrington had gone ahead through Chris Riley’s try after just 59 seconds, Luke Robinson having hit Myler high in the first tackle of the match.

However, Robinson’s lightening break up the middle resulted in a try for Danny Brough and then the magnificent prop Eorl Crabtree - making his 300th Huddersfield appearance – showed neat footwork to step over.

Brough improved both scores only to see Riley and Bridge respond with tries, Briers kicking the first of his four goals, to leave Giants trailing 14-12 at the break.

Jason Chan plundered over in the 44th minute to restore Huddersfield’s lead before the game descended into near chaos with a series of inflammatory incidents involving Bridge and Brown.

When it all calmed down, Joel Monaghan and Matty Blythe finished off further tries for the visitors and, although Greg Eden’s try on the hour mark got Giants within sight again, they could not capitalise on their chances.

Warrington did as Myler picked up a fortuitous score with eight minutes to go to leave Huddersfield buried.

Huddersfield: Eden; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, George; Scott Grix, Brough; Crabtree, Robinson, Ferguson, Chan, Gilmour, Brown. Replacements: Lee, Fairbank, Faiumu, Walker.

Warrington: Ratchford; Riley, Bridge, Atkins, J Monaghan; Briers, Myler; Morley, M Monaghan, Wood, Waterhouse, Westwood, Simon Grix. Replacements: Harrison, Cooper, Blythe, Hill.

Referee: Phil Bentham (Warrington)