Hull FC 6 Wakefield Trinity 20: Spotlight back on Agar after Wildcats storm to triumph

Have your say

Hull half-back Richard Horne had his big night ruined by one of his former apprentices as Wakefield Trinity turned the heat back up on home coach Richard Agar.

Horne was making his 300th appearance for his hometown team, but it was Tommy Lee, a 23-year-old scrum-half who failed to live up to his potential during five inconsistent seasons on Humberside, who was the star of the show for Wakefield, proving a point to his former employers with a match-winning performance.

His second-half try sealed the win and means Agar is back under the spotlight with his side having won just one of their six games.

Early on, however, Joe Westerman looked good for an early score for the home side until he shelled Sean Long’s pass close to the line.

Teenage winger Reece Lyne, someone who Hull rate as highly as they once did Lee, was then dumped in touch by Aaron Murphy as he dived for the line, before Long set Danny Tickle free only for the second-rower to lack support on either side.

England wing Tom Briscoe knocked on as he went to touch down a Cameron Phelps pass and, within seconds, Frankie Mariano gave Wakefield the lead after 17 minutes.

The impressive hooker Julien Rinaldi was at the heart of the move, breaking through and then releasing the former Hull KR forward who did the rest, with Josh Griffin converting.

Willie Manu was sent on to liven up Hull and he immediately set Briscoe free, only for him to replicate his earlier knock-on, before Lyne inexplicably planted a foot in touch after Horne had given him a free run to what would have been a simple try. Glenn Morrison was denied a second Wakefield try when Whiting pushed him out of play.

Hull got the try their territory if not their execution had deserved three minutes after the restart, when Tickle wriggled over before adding the extras.

Stuart Howarth tried to burrow his way over for Wakefield but was stopped just short, before his side edged back ahead with a penalty from Griffin on the hour.

The next try was always going to be crucial and so it proved as, following a Phelps error, Lee got the ball and displayed the strength of a prop to power his way over.

Griffin added the goal, with Wakefield then adding a further try after the final hooter.

Greg Johnson took advantage of a gaping hole in Hull’s defence and seared through it, before handing off to Kyle Amor to score.

Hull FC: Phelps, Sharp, Whiting, T. Briscoe, Lyne, Horne, Long, Dowes, Houghton, Radford, Westerman, Tickle, Fitzgibbon. Substitutes: Washbrook, Lauaki, Manu, Obst.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: Murphy, G. Johnson, Dean, Griffin, George, Jeffries, Lee, Korkidas, Rinaldi, P. Johnson, Morrison, Mariano, Howarth. Substitutes: King, Henderson, Wildie, Amor.

Referee: T Alibert (France).