Warrington 26 Hull FC 27: Sneyd caps Hull fightback with late drop goal winner

Hull FC's Leon Pryce brought down near the try line by Warrington's defence.
Hull FC's Leon Pryce brought down near the try line by Warrington's defence.
Have your say

A dramatic last second drop goal by scrum-half Marc Sneyd gave Hull FC a stunning victory over Warrington Wolves at the Halliwell Jones stadium.

The Wolves looked to be heading to victory as they opened up a 26-16 lead when winger Gene Ormsby claimed his second try of the game on 63 minutes.

But the visitors staged a stirring late rally when firstly Mark Minichiello crashed over with 11 minutes remaining which Sneyd converted, before they drew level with just five minutes remaining when Sneyd’s break sent winger Tom Lineham over in the corner to level the scores.

Sneyd failed with the difficult touchline conversion but in a breathless finale the scrum-half kept his cool to land the one-pointer with the final kick of the game.

Sneyd finished with a personal tally of 11 points with a try, three goals and a drop goal while Hull’s other tries came from Setaimata Sa and Jordan Thompson

Warrington winger Joel Monagahan claimed two tries to maintain his rich run of scoring form. The Wolves captain has now scored seven tries in his last five matches and fellow winger Ormsby also grabbed two tries for the home side, while Ben Currie also touched down.

Hull coach Lee Radford was delighted his side came out out on the right side of the result after so many close defeats this season.

He said: “”We have been on the back end of losing by a point or two points so many times, so to come away with the win is important.

“The actual last play was bizarre. We actually slung a four-man wall up and it was just enough to put them off and for Marc (Sneyd) to execute, it’s credit to him in a difficult situation.

“It was a good performance energy-wise, defensively we were good and with the ball we were far better - and that has got to be the blueprint for us.

“In the first half I think were were at their end five times and scored three tries, which was a great strike-rate.

“We wanted to build more pressure on them in the second half and I don’t think we did, so I’m glad frustration and apprehension didn’t creep in and we continued to play and did enough to get the result.

“We have been asking and promoting more ad-lib footy, pushing the pass a bit more and we have been reluctant to do it for some reason.

“We are a good defensive team so if we make an error doing that we can defend the next set of six,” he added.

Warrington coach Tony Smith said: “To be 10 points up with 10 minutes to play – we didn’t manage our time very well in that last part of the game.

“Our goal line defence has been improving and helping us get results in the last few weeks but we went soft again today and paid a heavy price for it.”

Warrington: Ratchford, Monaghan, T. King, Atkins, Ormsby, Patton, Myler, Asotasi, Higham, Sims, Currie, Westwood, Harrison. Substitutes: Bridge, Hill, England, Laithwaite.

Hull: Rankin, Lineham, Talanoa, Yeaman, Michaels, Pryce, Sneyd, Watts, Houghton, Ellis, Sa, Minichiello, Thompson. Substitutes: Abdull, Paleaaesina, Green, Whiting.

Referee: R Silverwood (RFL).