Hull KR 24 Warrington 28: Sandercock rues missed opportunity as Hull KR go out

Have your say

Warrington continued their fine recent record in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup with a thrilling 
28-24 win at Hull KR.

Ryan Atkins touched down for a double as the Wolves, winners of this competition in three of the past five seasons, recovered to win after conceding the first two tries of the match.

Converted scores for Ben Cockayne and Adam Walker fired the Robins into a 12-0 lead and left Warrington with an uphill task.

Tries from Atkins and Joel Monaghan before the break helped reduce the margin to 14-10 at halfway, before Rhys Evans and Ade Gardner traded scores early in the second period.

Atkins’s second on 62 minute, though, put Warrington ahead for good and Roy Asotasi followed him over to open up a 10-point gap.

Omari Caro crashed over with four minutes left to set up a tense finale, but Warrington held on to ensure their place in the fifth round.

Rovers coach Craig Sandercock admitted it was not his side’s day against a strong Wolves side.

“It was a very close game and the bounce of the ball was the difference,” Sandercock said.

“The players worked hard for each other in tough conditions. We had a few opportunities in the second half but Warrington aren’t a top-class side for nothing.

“You have to work really hard if you want to score a try.

“Warrington were at full strength and if Rhys Lovegrove had scored we would have led 

“He didn’t, Warrington got a tap and then they scored. It wasn’t our day.”

Warrington coach Tony Smith gave credit to Rovers for making life tough for his side right up until the final whistle.

“We made hard work of it at times,” Smith said. “We turned the ball over not on the terms we would have liked, but I’m very pleased to get through.

“It was a good game and both sides showed how much they both wanted to win the game.

“There were opportunities for both teams to win and fair play to Rovers for fighting hard.”

“We did some good things but some last plays weren’t great,” Smith said. “The last 10 minutes of the first half was good for us.

“We started positively in the second and carried on.”

Hull K R: Cockayne, Gardner, Salter, Welham, Caro, Burns, Keating, A. Walker, J. Hodgson, Weyman, Larroyer, Cox, Costigan. Substitutes: Carlile, Green, Netherton, Lovegrove.

Warrington: Russell, R. Evans, Bridge, Atkins, J. Monaghan, Ratchford, Myler, Hill, Higham, Asotasi, Waterhouse, Westwood, Grix. Substitutes: M. Monaghan, Wood, Laithwaite, B. Evans.

Referee: R Silverwood (RFL)