Rare away-day joy for Rovers hurts Wolves

Hull KR's Travis Burns
Hull KR's Travis Burns
Have your say

Warrington fell to their third home defeat of the season as Hull KR claimed a 25-12 victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Rovers led 6-0 at half-time thanks to a Michael Weyman try before adding further touchdowns after the break from Travis Burns and Kris Keating.

Weyman added a second with Warrington managing only two tries from Richie Myler in reply.

Craig Sandercock’s men went into the clash without an away win since beating Leeds last August but had an early chance to take the lead with Omari Caro failing to gather Keating’s kick cleanly.

Back-to-back penalties conceded by Neville Costigan and Josh Hodgson put Rovers under pressure but Hodgson made amends by latching onto a stray James Lewthwaite pass and darting 80 metres to relieve the danger.

Burns’ 40-20 then forced Warrington on the back-foot with only desperate defence keeping out Liam Salter.

Warrington should have broken the deadlock but Trent Waterhouse spilled Myler’s pass with the line at his mercy.

Caro again went close for Hull who stormed ahead four minutes before the break with Burns crashing through Waterhouse’s tackle to send the supporting Weyman over under the posts.

Burns added the straightforward conversion and the lead was no more than Rovers deserved.

Stefan Ratchford had a try disallowed almost straight from the restart after charging down Kris Keating’s kick.

Hall reappeared for the limping Salter after 45 minutes with Rovers immediately extending their lead after Keating’s kick rebounded off Myler for Burns to pounce and then add the conversion to make it 12-0.

It was a determined show by Hull KR despite their injury problems and they extended the lead when Keating, after two drop-goal attempts were charged down, swept over from Burns’ pass to make it 18-0.

Warrington had to wait until the 63rd minute to open their account with Myler backing up Ryan Atkins’ break to cross and Chris Bridge converted. Burns landed a one pointer for Rovers to extend the lead to 19-6 before Weyman added a second try 11 minutes from time from Josh Hodgson’s pass to seal victory. Myler scored a consolation.

Warrington: Russell, R. Evans, Bridge, Atkins, J. Monaghan, Ratchford, Myler, Hill, M. Monaghan, Wood, Waterhouse, Laithwaite, Grix. Replacements: Harrison, Currie, England, Dwyer.

Hull K R: Cockayne, Gardner, Welham, Salter, Caro, Burns, Keating, A. Walker, J. Hodgson, Weyman, Larroyer, Horne, Costigan. Replacements: Hall, Green, Netherton, Lovegrove.

Referee: R Hicks (RFL).