Leigh 58 Sheffield 18: Aston’s early red card scuppers any chance of Eagles’ surprise

Have your say

Any hopes Sheffield may have had of creating an upset at league leaders Leigh disappeared after five minutes with a red card for Cory Aston.

A gritty, defiant performance followed but it was damage limitation as the Lancashire team scored 10 tries.

Scrum-half Aston, son of the club’s head coach, on his recall to the team was sent off for a reckless tackle on Gregg McNally.

The impact of playing with 12 men was instant as Gareth Hock found a gap and sent Greg Worthington over with Martin Ridyard adding the goal.

The Centurions backed that up with McNally finishing from Ryan Brierley’s pass. Sheffield battled to force a follow-up set but were hit by a sucker punch with a 90-metre interception try for Brierley.

The game could have run away from Sheffield but helped by penalties they steadied before a second interception by Brierley who sent in centre Adam Higson.

Eagles fans enjoyed a brief lift with centre Sam Smeaton picking up a loose ball to go 70 metres to the line.

Leigh hit back with winger Liam Kay going in. Ridyard couldn’t add his fifth conversion.

Eagles made a great start to the second half with Dave Petersen scooting over.

Leigh capitalised on errors as McNally completed his hat-trick with two tries in three minutes.

Kay claimed his second but Sheffield showed spirit with Duane Straugheir crossing and Kyle Briggs kicking his only goal.

A feisty encounter saw Hock and Misi Taulapapa sent to the sin bin after a clash. Kay completed his hat-trick with his 26th try of the season.

Centre Tom Armstrong crossed with Ridyard kicking his ninth goal but Sheffield ended a tough afternoon with Taulalapa claiming their fourth try.

Leigh: McNally; Higson, Worthington, Armstrong, Kay; Ridyard, Brierley; Moimoi, Beswick, Emmitt, Dixon, Goulden, Hock. Substitutes: Higham, Hopkins, Spencer, Wilkes.

Sheffield: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Smeathon, Worrincy; Briggs, Aston; Thorpe, Carlile, Stringer, Knowles, Davies, Taulapapa. Substitutes: Petersen, Battye, Straugheir, Tonks.

Referee: M Woodhead (RFL).