Ruthless Rovers bury 
Barrow in try fest

FEATHERSTONE Rovers ran in 11 tries in a calculated demolition of Barrow Raiders that lifted them back to third in the Kingstone Press Championship.

In what was expected to be stiff test for Ryan Sheridan’s side in South Cumbria, Rovers were never forced to get out of third gear as the home side capitulated beneath them.

Andy Kain started things off as he waltzed through some typically weak Raiders defending in the fourth minute and – after 20 minutes of being denied – Andy Bostock scored his first of the afternoon with a stroll to the line.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ian Hardman and Will Sharp added their contributions before half-time as Featherstone built up a 22-0 advantage.

It looked as though the second period would be a different story as Jack Spencer sent Liam Campbell in for Barrow after just 90 seconds, but that was to be the hosts’ only score of the afternoon.

Bostock soon added his second as he pushed through between the posts and Sharp and Lamont Bryan each crossed the whitewash on the right to open up a 36-6 advantage.

With the game already won, Rovers started to toy with their hosts as they kept the ball alive and produced some fine moves – Liam Finn finishing off an 80-yard break and Sharp scoring his hat-trick as he squeezed over in the corner.

Vince Mellors finished off a move in the right corner and Bryan scored his second between the sticks before he and the home side’s Ruairi McGoff were sin-binned for fighting on the hooter.

That was a minor blemish for Rovers on an afternoon where they dominated poor opponents.

Barrow: Campbell, Low, McGilvray, Wiper, Clay, K. Haggerty, Finch, Brannon, Dandy, M. Haggerty, Spencer, Toal, Jones. Substitutes: Marwood, Butler, Whitehead, McGoff.

Featherstone: Hardman, Sharp, Mellars, Worthington, Saxton, Kain, Finn, Crossley, Kaye, James, Lockwood, Bussey, M. Dale. Substitutes: Ellis, Joint, Bryan, Bostock.

Referee: G Hewer (RFL)